FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New DELOREAN production update

My VIN:    4519

When someone wants to do something, they usually just do it and sort out the details later.

....sound familiar?

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by durech View Post
    I spoke with Sarah @ DMCH back in February as I was wondering if they had made any progress on the redesign of the front suspension and she inform me that "... We have yet to make any real progress on the new car due to the EPA and NHTSA not finalizing the fine print to the production rule on schedule. It was supposed to have been done last December but has not happened yet. Maybe the new administration will help that along, but for now we are in a holding pattern so we don't move forward and spend money on developing something that can't be used in the final product..."
    I thought the whole point of this exercise was for DMC-Texas to unload excess inventory? They are talking about redesigning/sourcing a hell of a lot of components/systems at this point.

So this is the newest article I've found about the whole Low Volume Vehicle Manufacturers Act. It states that the only engine to receive a California Air Resources Board Executive Order to be able to be installed legally in a low volume vehicle is the GM LS3 E-Rod. DMC-Texas has only spoken in the past about 6 cylinder engine replacements- I highly doubt they'd forgo the California market, especially given the fact they can't sell their Stage II & III kits there.

https://www.rcnmag.com/news/low-volu...-encapsulation

It looks like the new Checkers will be using LS3 E-Rod, and that they are waiting on NHTSA regulations:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/0...begin-in-2018/

This article also seems to confirm the NHTSA and EPA are still holding up the show:

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...nacorn-mustang

Though this article makes it sound like Superformance is already selling their GT40 under these rules:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kbrauer.../#79ba40076d80

For reference, here's the text of the law- fully amended and signed into law by the president in December 2015:

https://www.congress.gov/congression...e-report/906/1
    Louie Golden

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Have they sold more than one or two stage 3s in the first place?
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    15297

My Guess is they are getting a correct inventory count on the luggage sets and DeLorean wine left over from the past, so they can use these as promotional items for future new DeLorean sales. I recall the Tucker Car company used luggage as an incentive to sell their cars.

My VIN:    6125

DMCH be like:

2017 NEW DeLoreans* OMG Herp derp look at this hipster video trailer we made!!

*Actual DeLoreans may or may not available due to excessive red tape. Pricing, ability to order, vehicle details, availability of components, project feasibility are subject to change, cancellation and indefinite delay.

As another well known Texan once said:
    Last edited by Mark D; 03-30-2017 at 10:38 AM.

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Frankly it's getting annoying answering questions from people at the gas station about the "new" DeLoreans. I just tell everyone that I will believe it when I see it.
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

My VIN:    10201

The guy at the gas station told me you can still buy them brand new from the factory right now so I don't know what you guys are debating about.

My VIN:    16377

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    The guy at the gas station told me you can still buy them brand new from the factory right now so I don't know what you guys are debating about.
    Did he speak 'matter-of-factly' like he's been involved in the car for years and knows all about it?

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    So this is the newest article I've found about the whole Low Volume Vehicle Manufacturers Act. It states that the only engine to receive a California Air Resources Board Executive Order to be able to be installed legally in a low volume vehicle is the GM LS3 E-Rod. DMC-Texas has only spoken in the past about 6 cylinder engine replacements- I highly doubt they'd forgo the California market, especially given the fact they can't sell their Stage II & III kits there.

https://www.rcnmag.com/news/low-volu...-encapsulation

Though this article makes it sound like Superformance is already selling their GT40 under these rules:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kbrauer.../#79ba40076d80
    So Superformance is forgoing the California market? Because the claims of the first article are negated the second in that case. Unless I misunderstood.

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    So Superformance is forgoing the California market? Because the claims of the first article are negated the second in that case. Unless I misunderstood.

Cheers
    Steven
    Exactly. Even once the EPA approves this and the Federal regulations get sorted out, that's only at the Federal level, meaning that the cars are only 49-state legal. The largest market of all California, would be ruled out.

Even then, California has it's own set of rules. So the Replica platforms must be CARB approved. Once that hurdle gets cleared, then there is another legal challenge on the horizon: You see, the EPA leaves engine swaps to the states to legislate at their level. And California has strict rules that swaps can only, legally occur with vehicles with the same engines and emissions controls approved for the platform at the time of construction. Meaning for example, if you have, for example, an early 90's Ford F-150, you could swap out the I-6 for a V-8 if you take the time to graft in all of the same emissions controls systems. Which is a LOT of work. So if you have a DMC-12 from Northern Ireland with a PRV, are you allowed then to swap out a modern engine from DMCH's DMC-12 platform from Texas? Early comments allude that CARB is very keen on granted such an exemption since the modern engines would be much cleaner. But that is still a whole other bunch of legal paperwork to sort out before these cars can hit the streets.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast