FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Dark Souls video games

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Dark Souls video games

Anyone on here play the Dark Souls series? I figured that I'd ask, as the new DLC came out today. It's... not easy.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    05457

I've never played Dark Souls, but started Bloodborne (made by the same developer) about 2 weeks ago. Holy crap is that hard. I'm not normally an RPG guy, and not normally a guy that enjoys raging on a game so this was a wake up call for me. It took me about 12 hours before I beat the first boss. I think real players can do the whole game in 35.

I'm about 30 hours in now, and feel like I'm finally understanding the systems, weapons, and how to play. The learning curve on these games is insane. They don't coddle newbies like myself.

Great game though, now I can't stop thinking about it.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    10201

I've "beaten" demons souls and played a lot of dark souls 1 before getting stuck. I've nearly "beaten" dark souls 2. Never played any of the dlcs though.

Not a DeLorean Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    I've never played Dark Souls, but started Bloodborne (made by the same developer) about 2 weeks ago. Holy crap is that hard. I'm not normally an RPG guy, and not normally a guy that enjoys raging on a game so this was a wake up call for me. It took me about 12 hours before I beat the first boss. I think real players can do the whole game in 35.

I'm about 30 hours in now, and feel like I'm finally understanding the systems, weapons, and how to play. The learning curve on these games is insane. They don't coddle newbies like myself.

Great game though, now I can't stop thinking about it.
    Bloodborne was my first FROM Soft game as well. And no kidding, boy did it kick me right in the ass. My first time through the game it took me nearly 80 hours to beat. Now I can speed run it in 2-3 hours or so.

Was that first boss you defeated Father Gasciogne, or was it Cleric Beast?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    I've "beaten" demons souls and played a lot of dark souls 1 before getting stuck. I've nearly "beaten" dark souls 2. Never played any of the dlcs though.
    Curious where you got stuck in DS1?
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Bloodborne was my first FROM Soft game as well. And no kidding, boy did it kick me right in the ass. My first time through the game it took me nearly 80 hours to beat. Now I can speed run it in 2-3 hours or so.

Was that first boss you defeated Father Gasciogne, or was it Cleric Beast?
    I've seen some of those speed runs on youtube in under an hour. It is amazing what they are able to do. Sure, some of it is glitching, but even so there is serious skill do make that happen.

As for the first boss, I stumbled into Father Gasciogne first without realizing I was entering a boss fight. It took all of about 30 seconds for that to end. I then took to the internet to find out what to do only to realize that I should have been leveling up through all the hours of play prior. Thankfully meeting Gasciogne gave me the insight I needed to activate the plain doll to finally do so. What an obscure leveling method! Meet an insurmountable foe to gain insight to activate a doll which enables leveling?

After enough grinding to level up a bit I went back to the Cleric Beast to take him out first, then grinded some more before going to Gasciogne with the music box (that helped a ton!).

Now I've opened up a number of areas. Finally got leveled up enough such that I can kill those guys that take you to their jail after killing you. The fortified rifle spear helps a lot with that. Just beat that invisible witch last night. Next up is Vicar Amelia.

Yeah, I'm in deep on this now.
    David Proehl

Not a DeLorean Guru

You are going to have soooooooooooo much fun with the Vicar. Bring numbing mist! She heals a lot, so the mist is pretty much necessary.

And yeah, once these games take hold, it's hard to put them down.

I do recommend the Souls games as well, once you beat Bloodborne. DS1 is pretty clunky by today's standards, but it has a certain 'special feel' to it that is hard to put into words.
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    10201

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Curious where you got stuck in DS1?
    It wasnt so much stuck, but I got to where they shoot poison darts at you and I quickly ran out of poison cures. I had probably around 5ish. It was the only one I played on PC and it just didnt feel right playing on it.

Not a DeLorean Guru

Oh, Blighttown! That place is the worst, lol
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze