FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cigaretter lighter/accessory port issues

I installed a USB charger that fits in the "type B" European style cigarette lighter plug that our cars came with. It has two ports both the higher 2.4 amp type. Here is the link for what I purchased:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had hoped that the unit would fit perfectly flush, but it does stick up a little, making it look very much like the original lighter that came with the car. So, it works and it resembles the original lighter. Plus, I did not have to remove or mess with the socket.

Ron
    Attached Images

My VIN:    2848

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    I installed a USB charger that fits in the "type B" European style cigarette lighter plug that our cars came with. It has two ports both the higher 2.4 amp type. Here is the link for what I purchased:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had hoped that the unit would fit perfectly flush, but it does stick up a little, making it look very much like the original lighter that came with the car. So, it works and it resembles the original lighter. Plus, I did not have to remove or mess with the socket.

Ron
    I just ordered this and it doesn't work. Original cig lighter works fine so it has juice. Is there anything I should be checking for?
    -Alex
    We work jobs we hate, to buy shit we don't need, to impress people we don't even like.

Quote Originally Posted by Totally 80s View Post
    I just ordered this and it doesn't work. Original cig lighter works fine so it has juice. Is there anything I should be checking for?
    Several things to check:
    1. Perhaps you received a bad Aukey charger. Try it in some other cars.
    2. Is your USB device picky? Try the charger with some other USB devices.
    3. Sometimes the center connector is not making contact. Check that it’s fully pushed out on the Aukey unit.
    4. Fully inserted? On my car the Aukey is almost flush. Just a small clearance between the Aukey’s rim and the receptacle top.
    5. Then there is the “collar” connection. Is it making good contact and is the receptacle barrel not corroded.
    6. Always good to double check the cigarette receptacle. A meter can verify the voltage on the center pin. Also look to see that the center contact is clean and not pushed back inside the receptacle. Obviously, you may have already checked the receptacle by plugging in another USB charger.
    7. Cable? Initially I had a flaky USB cable with my phone but that was easy to sort out. I've had this for several months and the Aukey works well for my iphone.

That’s all I can suggest at this point. Best of luck.
    Ron
    Last edited by DMC-Ron; 12-12-2017 at 05:12 AM.

(more thoughts)

8. Fuse. If the center pin slipped and touched the side walls, you'll blow a fuse easily. Done this numerous times myself.
    9. Try a variety of devices and cables. In multiple cars. USB cables go bad just like any other cable. Try both ports also.
    10. Contact Amazon, return/replace. Use their chat, it's quick, easy, and I rarely have a problem.

Aukey and Anker make top-of-the-line car chargers, they're the best in their field as I stated in another thread about it. If Aukey doesn't work, try Anker, they might fit better. Much like UPS and FedEx, they pretty much provide exactly the same thing in virtually identical ways and remarkably similar top-notch quality, it's purely a matter of preference usually. I've used both with great success, lots of dash cam guys (retailers, companies, etc.) swear by them too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2