FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cigaretter lighter/accessory port issues

My VIN:    07000

Cigaretter lighter/accessory port issues

Does anyone have a fix or known way to get more reliable power from the 12 volt accessory plug? Right now I'm able to get anywhere from 3.4 to 8.4 volts if I stick some probes in there, and if I plug an adapter in to run something, I get only 3.4 with the engine running. I was able to, briefly, read 13 to 14 with the engine running (if I had my foot on the gas or not).

I sprayed some electronic cleaner in there and tried some cotton swabs too to no avail. One thing is the plug port is a bit larger than the plug itself - which fits in my other cars nice and snug.

Ideas?

Thanks

Greg

My VIN:    16409

I was never thrilled with the functionality and the position of the cigar lighter. Anything you plug in gets in the way of the shifter. Also since it is an odd European size, the accessories do not fit very well. So i basically unplugged mine, and now it is simply there for aesthetics. I then took the cigar lighter wiring and spliced it into this 12v USB adapter.

USB Port.jpg

That's why people go through the trouble of changing out the cigar lighter, so they can use a USB power adapter more reliably. So this adapter negates any sort of "plug in" solution. You simply wire it up to the cigar lighter wiring, and you have a powered USB port to charge your phone or other devices. Most tech gadgets are USB powered these days. Because I don't use my rear defogger, I re-purposed that switch to act as an "on and off" for the USB power adapter. I didn't want it powered on all the time.

Here's where I got mine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400701981756
    Last edited by Chris 16409; 03-29-2017 at 09:08 PM.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    Does anyone have a fix or known way to get more reliable power from the 12 volt accessory plug? Right now I'm able to get anywhere from 3.4 to 8.4 volts if I stick some probes in there, and if I plug an adapter in to run something, I get only 3.4 with the engine running. I was able to, briefly, read 13 to 14 with the engine running (if I had my foot on the gas or not).
    Replace it. There's a direct replacement unit available that fits modern lighter plugs much better. OR, wire in a separate one and hide it inside the glovebox or under the dash.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Great idea. I'm guessing it's pretty simple to remove the center console then? I ordered the VW plug that as mentioned in a thread I found in the archives. I might also add in the USB plugs as well. I have the BTTF GPS speedo, and it came with the lighter adapter and runs on 12 volts. What's funny is being it's for a DeLorean typically, the guy who makes it, who's from Europe, should include a European style plug for it.

My VIN:    10907

Great idea. I'm guessing it's pretty simple to remove the center console then? I ordered the VW plug that as mentioned in a thread I found in the archives. I might also add in the USB plugs as well. I have the BTTF GPS speedo, and it came with the lighter adapter and runs on 12 volts. What's funny is being it's for a DeLorean typically, the guy who makes it, who's from Europe, should include a European style plug for it.
    Mike @ MW changed mine out in a few minutes, so it shouldn't be a huge job. I was having the same problem with the original one (plugged my phone in to make sure it would charge before I set off, and it didn't).

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Don't remove the console. Just the ashtray.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Check! Also, where's a good place to wire in another one so I can hide it in the glovebox or even behind the console on either side?

My VIN:    16409

Check! Also, where's a good place to wire in another one so I can hide it in the glovebox or even behind the console on either side?
    That's why I said you can wire in the adapter directly into the the cigar lighter wiring. No need to splice into any other source. You can hide the little converter box underneath the center console. I have the USB cord routed to come out by the coin tray.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    That's why I said you can wire in the adapter directly into the the cigar lighter wiring. No need to splice into any other source. You can hide the little converter box underneath the center console. I have the USB cord routed to come out by the coin tray.
    Yeah I got that - but if I want to put one in the glovebox too, where's a good spot to tie into?

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Okay so I popped out the ashtray but can't get it the cigar lighter. I'm guessing that whole rubber/plastic center should come off- took out the screws under the shift plate, took off the one nut (one was missing) under the coin tray, but nothing - won't budge as it feels still locked down in the middle somewhere

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast