FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Electronic Otterstat

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    03572

Electronic Otterstat

I've started playing with LMT01 temperature sensor to design an electronic otterstat. This sensor can work to 150 deg. C so it should be fine running in our coolant. It is a digital pulse stream so it will be less susceptible to electrical noise. Accuracy is 0.5 deg C so I do not need to do any calibration.

I've prototyped this sensor to a micro and wrote code to read the sensor value. My plan is to have the user set the "trip" temperature via a DIP switch. I also plan to put an audio warning (buzzer) if a problem occurs (coolant temp running to high).

The plan is to just insert the sensor into an existing coolant pipe and the two small wires would get clamped between the existing hose and pipe. I'm interested in testing the "otterstat" in the return coolant line to see if that is a better way to turn the fans on and off.

I've never had a problem with my otterstat in my car so really did not consider the need for this project. But I have been reading where some owner are have otterstat failures.
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 04-01-2017 at 07:52 AM.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/