FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best shock set up?

My VIN:    02530

Best shock set up?

Looking to replace my stock suspension that rides like a hay wagon. Just looking for some feedback and suggestions on what the best replacement is for the money. Not decided on if I want to leave the stock springs or lower just the front or the whole car. Just looking for a smoother ride at this point. Has anyone installed the spring/shock package from DMC Europe or PJ Grady? Eibach seems pricey in comparison.

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Ive installed and driven stock, DmcH Eibach, and DmcEuAvo (plus a few other custom built ones ive gone through.

Imo dmch's set up is much better than stock but the Adjustable Avo shocks are much superior.

Stay away from Kybs, (Hervey's garbage)

My VIN:    2706

Check out drive stainless. Complete qa1 kit. A few of us have installed the kit and love it.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Lots of great info in this thread already.

Just to elaborate on Matt's kit (Drive Stainless), It is fully adjustable so you can set the height wherever you please (stock, lowered, raked, etc). The shocks themselves are adjustable as well, with 18 choices of valving.

Very nice Kit, replaces both the shocks and springs all around.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    02530

Great info! I didn't even know about the Q1A's.. We used to run those on our race cars back in the day, good stuff for sure. Im assuming the install is pretty easy since its a coil over setup? Have to cut anything off other than the front spring cup?

My VIN:    10353

How does the QA1 coilovers compare to the setup offered by DPI? My LCAs look miserable so I was thinking of changing those out with a new suspension refresh as well.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

edited - removed misinformation. See Henrik's post!

As far as I know Matt's setup and the DPI setup are very similar. Hopefully Matt can chime in here.

I do have DPIs LCAs and they are very nice quality. Still look brand new and straight as an arrow after 35,000km of all weather driving, they come with the high quality DMCEU ball joints. The DMC aluminum lower control arms are very nice looking pieces but I cant even begin to justify the cost. LCAs are expensive enough!
    Last edited by Josh; 04-05-2017 at 09:08 PM.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by KTwaffles02 View Post
    Great info! I didn't even know about the Q1A's.. We used to run those on our race cars back in the day, good stuff for sure. Im assuming the install is pretty easy since its a coil over setup? Have to cut anything off other than the front spring cup?
    Matt's DriveStainless/QA1 shocks and springs come with instructions. Yes, the lower front spring cup needs to be removed (spot-welded; easy to remove); an edge on the LCA also needs to be shaved a millimeter or two - that's all!
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by eight8toy View Post
    ...My LCAs look miserable so I was thinking of changing those out with a new suspension refresh as well.
    I'm currently in the process of converting to the Drive Stainless/QA1 setup in the front, and found that my stock right front LCA apparently had taken a hit in the past and was crooked. I went around to a few collision firms asking if they were willing to put it in a press - they all declined (actually, at three of the four places the receptionist flat out said they won't do it - what's up with that???), so - screw it: I'm buying new LCAs from DMCEU. They are the same basic design as stock but with the following improvements:
    a) thicker sheet metal and
    b)"boxed in" on the bottom

The price is pretty good compared to other options. Ed is also giving me a discount for the "no spring cup" option, and since I already bought his PU bushings he is giving me another discount to remove the stock bushings from the LCAs. What a guy!
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

Thanks for the kind remarks. If anyone would like a copy of the coil-over installation instructions, simply send me a PM or e-mail to [email protected].

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast