FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wreck of 17158 - 4 cylinder turbo swap

My VIN:    5312

I wanna do a frame off my esprit but dont have a garage at the moment ~_~ this guys resto so far is beautiful!

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Agreed! If you or anyone else wants so inspiration on a frame off resto, id recommend checking out this Irishman's incredible documentation of his Esprit restoration. It's incredible how many similar parts and construction methods were shared on our Deloreans. This guy doesnt have a garage either, he's doing this all in the attic of a bodyshop! sleeping over in a sleeping bag too!

Soup Motoring:

https://youtu.be/EXYzrvSHbJ8

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    Agreed! If you or anyone else wants so inspiration on a frame off resto, id recommend checking out this Irishman's incredible documentation of his Esprit restoration. It's incredible how many similar parts and construction methods were shared on our Deloreans. This guy doesnt have a garage either, he's doing this all in the attic of a bodyshop! sleeping over in a sleeping bag too!

Soup Motoring:

https://youtu.be/EXYzrvSHbJ8

Been watching his channel alot actually since we both have s2's. Hes a cool guy had a short email chat with him. Love his editing also the way he does the stop animation when he shows how things come apart. Really a channel that deserves WAY more subs
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

How do you like your S2? I had an 87 HCi Turbo for 2 years, as it was my 'poster' car growing up. Unfortunately, it was a "don't meet your heroes" scenario, as literally every time I drove the car something would go wrong, and it was always a hassle to fix. Hopefully your experience is going better than mine.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Gfrank View Post
    This pic on the trailer is cool. If a DMC were ever to be rat-rodded this is how you do it. No rear tub exposed engine.
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

My VIN:    5791

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Engine is a 2.2 ecotec (L61) from a 02-06 cavalier / cobalt or similar.

The brakes are stock in the rear, but 99+ miata brakes up front.

Out of curiosity, how much does that ecotec weigh compared to the PRV?

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-D View Post
    Out of curiosity, how much does that ecotec weigh compared to the PRV?
    I never got a chance to weight it before I put it in. I’d like to compare chassis weights once i put the car together just out of curiosity. I wouldn’t put much faith in the numbers, but the internet would say about 75lb difference just in the long block.

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    How do you like your S2? I had an 87 HCi Turbo for 2 years, as it was my 'poster' car growing up. Unfortunately, it was a "don't meet your heroes" scenario, as literally every time I drove the car something would go wrong, and it was always a hassle to fix. Hopefully your experience is going better than mine.
    Little bit I've driven her has been so fun! But I have removed the Citroen gearbox to put a fresh clutch in, have installed a new overflow tank and am going to remove the 907 engine to rebuild some parts on her and replace the water pump. I am going to buy new fuel tanks as mine have rust in them. I found a guy who makes custom stainless steel tanks in England for the series two even though they were a low production car. I went through lotus prepared by Claudius and had them recondition and make Thier new radiator for me as well. The original doesn't do shit for cooling as it is tiny. The new radiator sitting in my small living room was taken from a V8 esprit twin turbo and is double the size of the stock easily. Was in la for work actually and went there to meet the father and son they are really nice. I was going to go to dmc Huntington Beach to visit good ol Cameron and Danny botkin but I called and Danny said they were closing early but it's all good. The esprit is a very fun car, but like the delorean I don't beat the shit out of the car like my Miata. They are driven carefully and when I drive them I keep my head on a swivel because I trust my own driving but not the driving of others tbh.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

I would highly advise taking the engine and transmission out separately, if the transmission isn't still out. The placement of the motor makes it awkward to pull them as one lump. Ask me how I know

Adjust the valves while the motor is out. Horrible job to do with it in the car.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    I would highly advise taking the engine and transmission out separately, if the transmission isn't still out. The placement of the motor makes it awkward to pull them as one lump. Ask me how I know

Adjust the valves while the motor is out. Horrible job to do with it in the car.
    Transmission was removed by itself first actually. Decided to do the motor after I pulled the transmission because I'd like to touch base up the frame regardless and didn't realize what horse crap it is trying to change a water pump out with the engine in lol.
    Last edited by Riley88; 12-29-2018 at 01:39 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast