FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Wreck of 17158 - 4 cylinder turbo swap

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

Wreck of 17158 - 4 cylinder turbo swap

Haven't shared to much of my restorations on here, anyone who has me on Facebook will have seen many photos. Felt like sharing today. Progress has been a bit slow as I've had a few other delorean's on the go, but with them out of the way I can really get going on one I'm building for me.

17158 at this point from what we see its one of the last few (of 8 Canadian spec cars. From the digging I've done it was wrecked sometime around 1985, it spent some time in a junkyard down the street from me, was then sold and has had mythical sighting from the local club floating around in back yards sense. One day last summer I just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

I've wanted to do a motor swap for some time, with my other cars being pretty original and running, I couldn't bring myself to it. This car was missing a proper delorean engine - leaving me the door wide open. (Disclaimer at this point nothing has been done to the car that can't be unbolted. Only frame mods are a bolt in rear cross bar and 2 holes drilled in each rear tow hook. Any frame work I did I tried to keep vaugly original looking, yet stronger and thicker)

I was very much into small gm cars (most the jbody) in my younger days and still have a lot of parts kicking around, not to mention cheap and easy to get parts, the ecotec was high on my list (conveniently engineered by lotus I must ad) I wanted a cheap, simple swap, to at least double the hp, good on gas and turn key reliability. Also am not aware of any other 4 baggers so partially wanted to blaze that trail. I'll be running a S20g turbo, capable of around 500hp, have no intentions of pushing that, again want reliable) looking to put down around 300 at the wheels.

Lots more detailed photos on my fb if interested, I'll give the quick coles notes of photos on here.

Big thanks to josh s. Really went above and beyond helping (or I should say pretty much doing it all other then putting the bolts in) when it comes to mating the engine and trans 'hugs' lol

When I got it...
    IMG_6812.JPG
    IMG_6813.JPG
    IMG_6814.jpg
    Last edited by Gfrank; 04-06-2017 at 08:57 PM.

Becoming a tub again. I'm not sure how much was wrecked in the crash, but it was bad, and I'm told the owner thought this was a good way to and I quote " cars heavy in the back, need to save weight"

Anyways, making a good frame and tub again ...

IMG_6815.jpg
    IMG_6816.jpg
    IMG_6817.jpg
    IMG_6818.jpg
    IMG_6819.jpg
    IMG_6820.jpg

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Can't wait to see this car come to life. You are a master with frame repair and especially fiberglass!

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Man, I'm torn. I think I would have considered leaving the rear pontoon off and instead adding more steel framing to support the rear quarter panels and rear fascia! Just think of the access you would have had! Tell me it didn't cross your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    Man, I'm torn. I think I would have considered leaving the rear pontoon off and instead adding more steel framing to support the rear quarter panels and rear fascia! Just think of the access you would have had! Tell me it didn't cross your mind!
    Indeed, had it have been only the pontoons I may have considered it seriously. The repair was terrible, and missing the firewall/window and mainly the 2 tub mounts on the spring perches, it had lost a lot of its structure. Flexed like crazy if you leaned on it

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Congrats on getting that long-dead DeLorean on the road to recovery!

From the photo of the car on the trailer, based upon the oil pan / lower crankcase it appears that the PRV which was in the car was sourced from a Volvo.
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Congrats on getting that long-dead DeLorean on the road to recovery!

From the photo of the car on the trailer, based upon the oil pan / lower crankcase it appears that the PRV which was in the car was sourced from a Volvo.
    Ya it was a rebuild Volvo, with some terrible motor mounts put in. Engine had gotten weather in over the years making it cores at best

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Very nice! So glad to see one more D owner joining our exclusive "Delorean engine swap" community! Also, extra kudos for applying it to a D that in a lot of people's mind may seem like it was too far beyond salvaging.

More updates please!
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast