FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Fan Question

Fan Question

Should the Delorean fan run after the engine is turned off?

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

It depends on if your car has an updated module in it and your compressor was last running when you shut it off. I have an updated module in my fan runs for 20 seconds after I shut the car off. Does your fan shut off?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Dietrich View Post
    It depends on if your car has an updated module in it and your compressor was last running when you shut it off. I have an updated module in my fan runs for 20 seconds after I shut the car off. Does your fan shut off?

Mine is shutting off when the water temp gets to 165. I am resurrecting a D with a GM V6 engine. Looks like it is wired to allow power with the key off. Im not sure this makes sense since there is no water flowing when the engine is off. The fan actually drained the battery and had little influence on bringing the temp down. Does a stock engine have an after run electric water pump?

I would not think running the fans beyond the 20 second cool-down feature of the updated relay module makes any sense. Even less so if when being operated from temperature. As you say, once the engine is off and there is no coolant flow, the water at the sensing point is stagnate and only cools slowly by radiation. This would run your fans for quite a while after shutting down, accomplishing little more than exercising the battery. It's curious how they bypassed the ignition key power for the fan relay.

Ron

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

Quote Originally Posted by DMC VIN 6639 View Post
    Mine is shutting off when the water temp gets to 165. I am resurrecting a D with a GM V6 engine. Looks like it is wired to allow power with the key off. Im not sure this makes sense since there is no water flowing when the engine is off. The fan actually drained the battery and had little influence on bringing the temp down. Does a stock engine have an after run electric water pump?
    Sounds like somebody didn't know what they were doing and I guess you can always try to take the coolant temperature sensor from the GM V6 engine and wire it in where the other stat went?

Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

My VIN:    03572

OEM wiring turns the power off both fan relay control circuits with the key turned off via the "AUX" relays. The fan relay power (which drives the fans) is always 12 volts so a faulty fan relay could keep the fans powered with the key off.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    OEM wiring turns the power off both fan relay control circuits with the key turned off via the "AUX" relays. The fan relay power (which drives the fans) is always 12 volts so a faulty fan relay could keep the fans powered with the key off.
    Thanks, this confirms my thoughts. Looks like PO has a relay pulling power off the positive side in the engine bay. I just need to move that wire to the OEM fan relay 12V lead.