FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Car slowing down, even with accelerator pressed

My VIN:    6989

Car slowing down, even with accelerator pressed

Earlier today, I noticed that at one point while driving, that my car started slowing down even when I was pressing on the accelerator. The RPMs would only go up very slightly, but I knew the car was going to come to a stop, so I pulled over. The engine was still running and idling, and there was this buzzing noise that I felt was coming from the center console. I pressed the accelerator and noticed it wouldn't go above 2000 RPM.

After shutting off the engine, and restarting, all seemed to be right as I was able to drive perfectly fine the rest of the way. This is about the third time this has happened. What could be the issue? Thank you all!

-Fluxn83

My VIN:    3937

Possible fuel leak between the pressure side of the pump and the hardline (flexible hose), or on the flexible line that then connects that hardline coming from the pump to the accumulator, or after the accumulator and somewhere up to and including the fuel filter?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Raining?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    03572

Was it a hot day? Sounds like the old fuel pump buzz that happens when the gas in the tank gets hot. Have not heard of anyone with the new DMCH pump get fuel pump buzz yet.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    6989

Hey guys,

To answer the questions: it wasn't raining that day (earlier in the week it had though, kinda heavy) and I believe it was a particularly warm day with the sun being out. The buzz went away when I restarted the car.

Thank you all so far!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Inspect the insides of the fuel tank. Could be a plugged up filter or a collapsing pick-up hose starving the motor for fuel. Clean out any dirt and if the pick-up hose is soft or kinked replace it and/or stick a spring inside it.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3937

I agree with Dave #2's assessment of it being fuel starved related. Likely not leaking or you'd see it/smell it. Somehow the engine isn't getting the fuel you think it should be for pressing on the gas. Kinked pick-up hose perhaps with a warm gas tank or a pump on its last legs.

Another thought, possible albeit not that likely, is that you weren't pressing the gas pedal quite the way you thought you were. I say from experience only in that the space on or between the pedals in the DMC is much smaller than most daily drivers and when driving it anew each Spring, I get a reminder that you don't wear big shoes to drive the car. I've pushed a little bit on the side carpeting a time or two and not immediately realized it. Like I said, not necessarily the problem, just another idea.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior