FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Experience with push button start in your D?

Experience with push button start in your D?

Is anyone actually tried to install and had experience with the pushbutton start?
    My car came with a lawnmower key ignition and I am considering this.
    I had heard from someone that they are a hassle and the DeLorean but I'm not sure why that would be. Don't you just hook up the wires? I did find one that seems to be of good quality that is about $250 and it comes in stainless.
    81' gas flap. Sept build. 14k miles. Mostly original. Updating things...

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Redsquall View Post
    Is anyone actually tried to install and had experience with the pushbutton start?
    My car came with a lawnmower key ignition and I am considering this.
    I had heard from someone that they are a hassle and the DeLorean but I'm not sure why that would be. Don't you just hook up the wires? I did find one that seems to be of good quality that is about $250 and it comes in stainless.
    Seems like a lot of money to replicate what the car can already do, start the motor. Unless it also combines a key fob with remote lock-unlock, an alarm, and remote start it doesn't make sense. It would probably be cheaper to just get a new ignition lock and have it keyed up to the doors (the 1 key system). One one old car I bought (a LONG time ago, not a Delorean) it came with a screwdriver to start the car and open the trunk!
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10201

There was one that has an iPad mini integrated into the center console. He could remotely start the car using an app on his iPhone.

My VIN:    10907

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    . One one old car I bought (a LONG time ago, not a Delorean) it came with a screwdriver to start the car and open the trunk!
    If it was a '71 Catalina, I think we had the same car

My VIN:    6585

The first thing to know is that the DeLorean has a very simplistic electrical system. It's an old school design with it's only difference against other cars being that it has concentrated ground points thanks to it's non-conductive underbody. The amount of wiring involved just makes it look more intimidating, although it's really not much different than any other luxury car. So there isn't exactly some sort of difficulty with electronics installation simply because it's a DeLorean. Compare it to a modern vehicle with a CAN Bus, and you can really appreciate how much more simplistic it is to work on. You're basically just dealing with positive, negative, ground, and switches with this car.

Having said that, there are inherent challenges with electrical systems that you need to deal with. Specifically knowing how to read schematics to understand what wires you need to splice, disconnect, and test. Then you have to know how to translate that into the real world of locating the wires in question, and how to physically work with them. And that goes for troubleshooting up to installing new systems like we're talking about here.

What you first need to do is take stock of what you have, what it is that you can do, and then what you would like to do.

Option 1: Return to stock.
    This is the most simplest one. You're missing a proper lock cylinder. So what you can do is track down another one, and have a vendor re-key it for your door locks.
    Pros:
    • Plug & Play, no modifications.

Cons:
    • Ignition locks can be somewhat hard to find.
    • If you really want a push button starter, you won't get it here.

Option 2: Push Button w/aftermarket ignition lock.
    A bit more complicated. You can keep the lock you currently have, or even relocate it. So then instead of cranking by turning the key, you instead just press and hold a button.
    Pros:
    • You've got some customization options here to move things around if you so desire.
    • You'll have a push button starter.
    • If you're just wiring up a push button, that means just extending the wires from the lock to the push button.

Cons:
    • You still need keys to place the vehicle into the ON position to start it.
    • You still have a non-OEM 2-key system,
    • You still have to fabricate the second location for the button, or the key.

Option 3: Full on Push Button start w/key fob.
    This is the big one. Unlock the car, get in, push button. That's it.
    Pros:
    • You'll get the push button starter you want.
    • Dumping the aftermarket keys will allow for a smooth, streamlined installation.
    • You can relocate the push button if you want, or you can just place it where the stock ignition key goes for minimal customization.

Cons:
    • This kind of system goes for about $500 on average, not counting installation costs.
    • This is going to require a custom installation. There is no plug & play options here.
    • Heaven forbid you loose a key fob, or both, I've no idea how you're supposed to get another.
    • If you have remote start on an automatic car, the RFID range for the key fob may severely limit the distance you can be away from the car to activate this feature.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    There was one that has an iPad mini integrated into the center console. He could remotely start the car using an app on his iPhone.
    Viper SmartStart iOS system.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    #5980

I installed a start button in my car (DMCVegas/Robert's 'Option 2' -> You still need keys to place the vehicle into the ON position to start it)
    Easy and simple to install...

DSC04471.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by klaus5980 View Post
    I installed a start button in my car (DMCVegas/Robert's 'Option 2' -> You still need keys to place the vehicle into the ON position to start it)
    Easy and simple to install...

DSC04471.jpg
    First of all thanks. I've got two questions for you:
    1. The button I am looking at looks like it has multiple positions so that I don't need a key
    2. That's steering wheel you have has the shape of stock that looks like it's a lot thicker. Is it or my eyes deceiving me?

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    The first thing to know is that the DeLorean has a very simplistic electrical system. It's an old school design with it's only difference against other cars being that it has concentrated ground points thanks to it's non-conductive underbody. The amount of wiring involved just makes it look more intimidating, although it's really not much different than any other luxury car. So there isn't exactly some sort of difficulty with electronics installation simply because it's a DeLorean. Compare it to a modern vehicle with a CAN Bus, and you can really appreciate how much more simplistic it is to work on. You're basically just dealing with positive, negative, ground, and switches with this car.

Having said that, there are inherent challenges with electrical systems that you need to deal with. Specifically knowing how to read schematics to understand what wires you need to splice, disconnect, and test. Then you have to know how to translate that into the real world of locating the wires in question, and how to physically work with them. And that goes for troubleshooting up to installing new systems like we're talking about here.

What you first need to do is take stock of what you have, what it is that you can do, and then what you would like to do.

Option 1: Return to stock.
    This is the most simplest one. You're missing a proper lock cylinder. So what you can do is track down another one, and have a vendor re-key it for your door locks.
    Pros:
    • Plug & Play, no modifications.

Cons:
    • Ignition locks can be somewhat hard to find.
    • If you really want a push button starter, you won't get it here.

Option 2: Push Button w/aftermarket ignition lock.
    A bit more complicated. You can keep the lock you currently have, or even relocate it. So then instead of cranking by turning the key, you instead just press and hold a button.
    Pros:
    • You've got some customization options here to move things around if you so desire.
    • You'll have a push button starter.
    • If you're just wiring up a push button, that means just extending the wires from the lock to the push button.

Cons:
    • You still need keys to place the vehicle into the ON position to start it.
    • You still have a non-OEM 2-key system,
    • You still have to fabricate the second location for the button, or the key.

Option 3: Full on Push Button start w/key fob.
    This is the big one. Unlock the car, get in, push button. That's it.
    Pros:
    • You'll get the push button starter you want.
    • Dumping the aftermarket keys will allow for a smooth, streamlined installation.
    • You can relocate the push button if you want, or you can just place it where the stock ignition key goes for minimal customization.

Cons:
    • This kind of system goes for about $500 on average, not counting installation costs.
    • This is going to require a custom installation. There is no plug & play options here.
    • Heaven forbid you loose a key fob, or both, I've no idea how you're supposed to get another.
    • If you have remote start on an automatic car, the RFID range for the key fob may severely limit the distance you can be away from the car to activate this feature.
    thank you Robert

My VIN:    #5980

It's the stock steering wheel covered with new leather but without removing the old worn leather so it is 'thicker' and better to grip

Quote Originally Posted by Redsquall View Post
    First of all thanks. I've got two questions for you:
    1. The button I am looking at looks like it has multiple positions so that I don't need a key
    2. That's steering wheel you have has the shape of stock that looks like it's a lot thicker. Is it or my eyes deceiving me?