FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tracking down a short in the wiring??

My VIN:    3294

Went home from the office today during lunch and did some more troubleshooting on the car. Once again I disconnected the black bulkhead connector to isolate the rear half of the car. Then I went to the front and removed the grill and disconnected the turn signal assembly via the connector right behind the headlights. Next I disconnected the left front fender side marker light using the spade lug terminals I installed back in October when I replaced that socket. Once everything was disconnected, I started the process of plugging everything back in. Replaced the fuse and it held, so that's a good thing. Plugged the rear bulkhead connector back in and the rear of the car lit up like a Christmas tree. Went to the front and reconnected the turn signal lamp. It worked perfect too. Reached over and reconnected the side marker light and POP! Found the culprit.

Now I have to figure out is it a bad socket or the wiring going to the socket.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

If it's a replacement socket, those are longer than the original assembly and can be a difficult the put in place. The center wire has to bend a sharp 90 degrees and could pinch between the underbody and outer grounded metal socket. The other possibility is the spring inside the socket is somehow bridging between the center wire contact and the outer housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    3294

It ended up being the center wire of the new replacement socket. Like DMC5180 said, the way that wire was bent coming out of the bottom of the socket, it ended up getting nicked by the outer housing of the socket. I slipped a length of heat shrink tubing over the center wire and snugged it up good and tight. Everything is working again as it should.

Door light switches are next on the list.

Thanks to all of you for your help!
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2