FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Car Not Starting, Already Swapped Starter

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Car Not Starting, Already Swapped Starter

I don't recall if it's possible with DMC unit, but most vehicles with traditional ignition assemblies allow you to remove the cylinder. They have release pin that you have to push in while the key is in the cylinder then rotate it to a curtain position and the cylinder comes out. But again I don't know if it's possible with DMC assembly. The key cylinder has nothing to do with the switch other than rotating it. The spring back you feel when cranking is all internal to the switch itself. Worn tumbler plates or the Key itself (OE STEEL) could cause the brass plates in the cylinder to be slightly out of position. This could cause drag when rotating though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DMC5180; 04-20-2017 at 10:47 AM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    2681

Club(s):   (DMA)

Yeah I don't know either, I don't have a lot of experience playing around with tumblers, ignition assemblies, etc. I'm going to mess around with it though and see what I can come up with.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

It's really hard to get the cylinder out. It's held in by pin into a blind hole.

Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

I kinda thought that was the case. It's been a long time since I've looked at one up close.

DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    It's really hard to get the cylinder out. It's held in by pin into a blind hole.

Is this the blind pin?

DENNIS

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Is this the blind pin?

Yes. It needs to be extracted to get the tumbler out. Locksmith.

Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    3937

Here's some more info on the pin location in the cylinder and the springiness of the switch (in the video).

The ignition switch set-up my car came to me with in 2007 had this screw in it holding it together. I replaced it all in 2013.

IMG_1091.jpgIMG_1094.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Car Not Starting, Already Swapped Starter

Excellent video Jonathan. This belongs in the resource section.

When replaced your assembly, how did you remove the tamper proof bolts and what did you use as for replacement bolts if not original type?

Last edited by DMC5180; 04-22-2017 at 09:47 AM.
    DENNIS

My VIN:    3937

Thanks Dennis. The Calculus part at the beginning is a bit dumb, but I was thinking it shouldn't be common knowledge how to take one of these apart. Not for thieves anyway

I was fortunate enough to find a parts car owner selling a complete ignition switch assembly and so that's what I bought. I think my own car had someone in to the interlock switch before I got it and they had basically Dremmel'ed a slot into the tops of those tamper proof screws to allow you to get them out. That's not something easily done, certainly not quickly, but not that difficult if you have the time and are doing it in your garage with the right tools.

IMG_3445.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Thieves never take the TIME to methodically remove anything. So your safe on that one.

Know someone who had the aftermarket DIN radio stolen from his car while he was at work parked in a high visibility location with cameras. All caught on video. It took 2 minutes In and out because the doors were unlocked. They broke the A/C panel in the process too.

DENNIS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2