FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Cooling Fans

Awesome member

My VIN:    5292

Cooling Fans

It's finally warming up in Michigan and I took the DeLorean to work today. It was cool in the morning so this problem did not present itself, but on the way home (when it was much warmer) I noticed that the cooling fans would kick on, but only for a second before turning off. 5-6 seconds later they would kick on again for another second and then off again for 5-6 seconds. Fortunately it was not a long drive home but it did it all the way once the engine warmed up. I did have the air conditioner on, but did not think to turn it off at the time. This is obviously not normal and is a new issue with the car. Any ideas? Thanks!

Chris

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Sounds like you have an issue with the level of refrigerant, check your AC system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    03572

It could be you have a shorted fan. I don't know the recovery time of the fan circuit breaker.

One second seems to short for a low AC charge but if your orifice is plugged it may be that. Does your AC seem to cool enough?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    It could be you have a shorted fan. I don't know the recovery time of the fan circuit breaker.
    Could be that. Years and years ago mine was tripping/resetting and that sounds about right. It was also accompanied by an audible "POING!!!" noise each time.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Awesome member

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Could be that. Years and years ago mine was tripping/resetting and that sounds about right. It was also accompanied by an audible "POING!!!" noise each time.
    Thanks guys. The air conditioning was not very cool (not nearly as cold as it has been) and there was an audible clicking noise from the engine compartment every time the fans turned off.

My VIN:    10270

That sounds like an AC issue. The thermal trips make a funny sound, a click from the engine compartment is likely the compressor clutch. When my AC system was ultra low on freon it would cycle at that rate, too.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    1058

Needs one can put in the ac system that's all. If it's 134 then it's $7 at Wal-Mart

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Awesome member

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. It cooled off for a few days, but it warmed up enough today to check the refrigerant level and it was indeed low. One can of coolant and everything's working fine. The clicking was the a/c compressor clutch kicking off and on. Thanks for the help!