FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: DAP clutch bleeder (new and improved)

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

DAP clutch bleeder (new and improved)

So, I bought DAP's "new and improved" clutch bleeder. I thought the flexible braided stainless steel hose would certainly make the bleeding job easier. I had read reviews that when it was first introduced, there were problems with it leaking. But later versions seemed to have corrected that, and later reviews were good.

Here is what I got:
    image.jpg

As I opened the box (which didn't have any protective padding), I thought W.....T..... F......

After I got over the fact that it wasn't like what was advertised on the website, I tried to install it to see if this design was really better.

First the positive: I liked how it had matching yellow zinc plating.

Three problems:

1) The threads were not close to being plug and play. It didn't thread in at all. Similar to his barb on the auto bleeder that screws into the thermostat housing that was imperial not metric, I was not going to force a " close enough " thread or have to re-tap the threads on my new slave.

2) Even if it was installed, the rigid pipe points the bleeding end at the heater hoses

3) The short ridged design does not significantly alleviate the need to hunker down around the back of the engine.

I called and requested a refund. John agreed and processed the refund and had this to say about my 4 reasons for the return ( I'm paraphrasing)

Me: It's not at all like the product pictured on your website
    John: I don't sell that one anymore

Me: The pipe points the bleeding end directly at the heater hoses
    John: The heater pipes are flexible. You can move them out of the way.

Me: The pipe is too short to really make bleeding easier.
    John: I sell many of these any others don't have a problem.

Well. It cost me $13 in shipping to return it and a momentary spike in my blood pressure when I realized that I was duped yet again.

I posted this review so that other owners are informed before they click "buy" on this product.

Also, reviews should be fair, so if you actually have one of these new versions installed and if is working for you, please feel free to post your review/ pictures of it in action.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I bought one a year ago with the same issues as you. The part did not come as described. I was hoping to have a flexible line, not a useless hard line.

I didn't even want to bother with John, I ended up throwing it in my scrap metal pile. Sounds like it wouldn't have gone well if I tried to rectify the situation...

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    03572

I've got his older model and so far no problems. I really think another vendor can design a better unit.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I bought one a year ago with the same issues as you. The part did not come as described. I was hoping to have a flexible line, not a useless hard line.

I didn't even want to bother with John, I ended up throwing it in my scrap metal pile. Sounds like it wouldn't have gone well if I tried to rectify the situation...
    Wow, so it wasn't just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I've got his older model and so far no problems. I really think another vendor can design a better unit.
    Yeah, that was the one I was aiming for. I think the concept is a good one. I heard that Toby sells one. Maybe I'll inquire with him.

Also, I erred on the return shipping cost... It was only $7.15. Still, it was a waste of time.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    16409

Wow crazy! I used to have one of his flexible bleeder types but I ended up selling it. I thought it was causing an air leak in the clutch slave. It tuned out the slave was bad. I became so good a bleeding the clutch, I no longer needed the remote bleeder pipe.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    I became so good a bleeding the clutch, I no longer needed the remote bleeder pipe.
    And you have fewer points of failure in the system.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Sounds like you had the trademark john Hervey experience!

My VIN:    6679

I bought his original but it began to ever so slightly leak. I simply removed it - not worth the risk of brake fluid dripping anywhere and not worth the pain of contacting John.
    Chris

My VIN:    05457

That is too bad. I have his old style flexible bleeder and love it. No leaks in the ~5 years I've had it on and it encourages good behavior on my part. Previously I hardly ever bled because of the hassle, now I do it annually without hesitation. I figure even if it is another point of failure, that is better than not bleeding when I should. I agree though, with a hardline like that I wouldn't have bothered.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Not to throw gas on a fire, but I pretty much decided not to order anything from Mr. Hervey (cant even spell harvey right), after a long conversation where he explained how his things were superior to the DMC vendors and was really going on the hard sell for things I told him over and over I'm not doing yet..That being said, I dont have any complaints over the lil things I did order from him.

For things like the bleeder and other fun mods, I pretty much will stick with Toby (he's local and helpful...even with dumb questions).
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon