FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Effects of gasohol on our D's

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    This specific to your area of the state? I haven't seen the straight stuff in a while.
    Martins Mercantile (on GA HWY 60, ~15 miles before Blue Ridge for you) has no ethanol. Closes down after fishing season, anymore.
    I can't remember the name of the other place, but it's right next to Fannin Towing in Blue Ridge on 515. It has both types.

Banned

Ethanol is added to normal gasoline as it is pumped into the tanker. Up to that point gasoline refining and distribution is the same as it's always been.

There is no reason a gas station owner can't simply request to have the ethanol spigot turned off as his truck is filled.

Why are we allowing Congress to impose this lunacy upon us? (No offense to those of you living in the corn belt, who have plenty of markets for your sweetener anyway).

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Ethanol is added to normal gasoline as it is pumped into the tanker. Up to that point gasoline refining and distribution is the same as it's always been.

There is no reason a gas station owner can't simply request to have the ethanol spigot turned off as his truck is filled.

Why are we allowing Congress to impose this lunacy upon us? (No offense to those of you living in the corn belt, who have plenty of markets for your sweetener anyway).

Bill Robertson
    http://www.openmarket.org/2010/08/19...d-competition/
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

In older cars (pre 1980's) the rubber and the carburetor parts were not meant to tolerate high levels of alcohol. Back then we used to add it to the gasoline, they called it "Dry Gas" and it was meant to prevent gas line freeze-up by keeping the water in suspension. E-10 melts the floats and the inlet valve on the old carburetors and the rubber parts in the fuel pumps. Newer rebuild kits have better more resistant parts so even the older cars can be "upgraded" to use E-10. E-10 seems to be OK as long as the car is used regularly. The damage happens during extended storage. That is why the old advice of filling the fuel tank to prevent condensation is no longer a good idea. With the new fuels the best way to store the car is to remove as much of the fuel as possible. Safer and when you take the car out of storage you can start it up on fresh (non-stabilized) fuel. I loosen up the fuel pump and stick a siphon hose in the tank and pull out most of what is inside. It also gives me a chance to peek in and see if there is any water or dirt in there.
    Not too long ago I helped start up a "Barn Find". It was a Jag X120 that was in storage for over 20 years. It was stored with a full tank of gas. It was about 1/2 full of nasty sludge that smelled like bad shoe polish. Had to have the tank steamed out 3 times! The rest of the fuel system was also a mess. All of the rubber had to go and the fuel pump and carburetors (3 of them!) had to be rebuilt. And that wasn't E-10. At least I can say non of the metal parts were corroded. With E-10 the metal tank would probably have rotted away from the water absorbed by the alcohol.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3