FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How would describe what normal delorean steering feels like?

Tires are new and balanced...
    is there a simple way to test bearings?
    my rims have some scrapes on them- could that be throwing it off?
    81' gas flap. Sept build. 14k miles. Mostly original. Updating things...

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by Redsquall View Post
    Tires are new and balanced...
    is there a simple way to test bearings?
    my rims have some scrapes on them- could that be throwing it off?
    Bad bearings, particularly in the front where you can hear them better, give off a pretty strong "whirring" sound that becomes more pronounced at speed. Probably not causing your issue.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by kings1527 View Post
    Bad bearings, particularly in the front where you can hear them better, give off a pretty strong "whirring" sound that becomes more pronounced at speed. Probably not causing your issue.
    Nope not that.

Mine felt floaty too... I guess many would consider that "normal" steering for a 30 year old D.
    I am Looking to buy a D.

My VIN:    10309

The front suspension was designed by LOTUS so it is well made for handling. The bigger problem is that the entire weight distribution is off for the Delorean to be a decent handling car. If you have ever driven a Corvair that is the closest you'll come to a comparable handling car. If you want to get the D to hug the road better you would need to load several bags of sand in the trunk to get the suspension active. You'll notice the best handling cars in the world are all close to a 50/50 weight distribution notably Porsches like the 928 and 944. Your car is fine it does what it was designed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrusn View Post
    The front suspension was designed by LOTUS so it is well made for handling. The bigger problem is that the entire weight distribution is off for the Delorean to be a decent handling car. If you have ever driven a Corvair that is the closest you'll come to a comparable handling car. If you want to get the D to hug the road better you would need to load several bags of sand in the trunk to get the suspension active. You'll notice the best handling cars in the world are all close to a 50/50 weight distribution notably Porsches like the 928 and 944. Your car is fine it does what it was designed to do.
    What did you think of the video?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDKW...ature=youtu.be

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

That is definitely not how steering should be...

Open the access panel for the master cylinder (the whole panel, not the rubber plug). Have someone turn the wheel side to side while you watch the steering u-joints. If those joints are original then they're certainly going to have play by now and even the littlest amount of play will translate to a lot of slop in the steering. You can also do the same while laying in front of the car to see any movement in the steering rack and tie rod ends.

The steering in mine used to be exactly like that, it was the damn u-joints. After u-joints, ball joints, new steering rack, bearings, and just about everything else you could replace, my car steers great - no slop/play, no floating, no noise!
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Classic worn steering rack video. (AKA The Dick Tracy effect)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsquall View Post
    Your rack is most likely worn and due for a rebuild. Our rebuilt racks use new bearings and bushings designed to make them last longer than both NOS and the reproduction racks by a large margin. I have personnally rebuilt several hundred over the years. We've sold quite a few to members of this forum so perhaps someone might chime in on thier experience with rebuilt versus replacement racks. You can confirm my diagnosis by having someone move the steering back and forth while you check the rack and steering ujoints to see where the play is coming from.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Your rack is most likely worn and due for a rebuild. Our rebuilt racks use new bearings and bushings designed to make them last longer than both NOS and the reproduction racks by a large margin. I have personnally rebuilt several hundred over the years. We've sold quite a few to members of this forum so perhaps someone might chime in on thier experience with rebuilt versus replacement racks. You can confirm my diagnosis by having someone move the steering back and forth while you check the rack and steering ujoints to see where the play is coming from.
    Rob
    Thank you. I'll try this and report back. What amount of work is this for a capable, but non-expert? Is this something a good local non speciality shop can do? Does it require alignment again?

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I'm actually still on one of your rebuilt steering racks going on about 12 years now, issue free...

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    I have personnally rebuilt several hundred over the years. We've sold quite a few to members of this forum so perhaps someone might chime in on thier experience with rebuilt versus replacement racks.
    Rob
    -----Dan B.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast