FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Trouble disconnecting brake lines

Trouble disconnecting brake lines

Hi all, I am working my way through a brake issue, and am wondering if any of you might be of assistance. I am intending to replace the original rubber brake lines with stainless steel lines while I have the brake system disconnected. I'm stuck on the 17mm nuts that hold the original lines in place. The 11mm nuts that connect the steel tubing lines came off fine, but the 17mm nuts that hold the rubber lines in place connect to a metal tab. That metal tab just bends if I apply force to the nut via a wrench. I'm afraid I'm going to shear that tab off the frame if I pull any harder; any tips or tricks? The whole tab assembly is tough to hold in place with a crescent wrench or anything. Any help would be great! Thanks.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by rjd2 View Post
    Hi all, I am working my way through a brake issue, and am wondering if any of you might be of assistance. I am intending to replace the original rubber brake lines with stainless steel lines while I have the brake system disconnected. I'm stuck on the 17mm nuts that hold the original lines in place. The 11mm nuts that connect the steel tubing lines came off fine, but the 17mm nuts that hold the rubber lines in place connect to a metal tab. That metal tab just bends if I apply force to the nut via a wrench. I'm afraid I'm going to shear that tab off the frame if I pull any harder; any tips or tricks? The whole tab assembly is tough to hold in place with a crescent wrench or anything. Any help would be great! Thanks.
    Spray with penetrating oil and let it sit overnight. Put a visegrip on the tab to hold it while you go after the nut with a socket and ratchet.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    2706

Worst case scenario is you may have to hit them with some heat. I used an acetaline torch but u can use map gas or propane torch. Your gonna melt some epoxy no way around that if you do. I didnt have a choice.

My VIN:    #15768 EX #4584

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

I have done a few and some are really stubborn! the other option is to cut the rubber line flush with the fitting and drill the centre of the fitting out to remove as much of the metal (it's fairly soft) as possible.
    Chris
    Chris Williams #15768 Back on the road after 14 years. Ex#4584
    Worldwide DeLorean Owners Club: www.deloreans.co.uk Full colour DeLorean magazine shipped worldwide.
    DeLorean Essential Buyers Guide: http://deloreans.co.uk/product/delor...-buyers-guide/