FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Funky idle

My VIN:    5436

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Funky idle

My car has started misbehaving again... I have a recurring problem where the idle goes up to around 1700 rpm; you have to tap the accelerator a couple of times to bring it back down to the normal 700 or so.

I've seen it mentioned before that sticking throttle cables can cause this, but I just wanted to post the video showing my own particular situation. Any advice would be welcome!

I've only had the car out a handful of times since wakening it from its winter slumber a couple of months ago, it was fine up until this happened the other evening. It started doing it after about an hour's driving.

It did the same last year as well, it only happened occasionally though.

- Martin - VIN 5436 -

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Check the hoses connected to the idle speed motor. Check the electric connector on the ISM. Is the screw on the end of the throttle arm pressing the idle speed microswitch? Are the deceleration springs in the butterfly valve fully closing the valve? (this thing: http://store.delorean.com/p-6395-butterfly-assy.aspx) I would start with these things
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    1058

It's the idle switch. Don't get it confused with the wide open throttle switch. Give it a clean and it should be ok. Might need a little adjustment

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Could be a couple of things. First make sure the throttle cable is not sticking and returning ALL the way to idle. Lubricate it as per the recall. Next make sure, when the throttle is at idle it "sets" (operates) the idle switch, activating the idle motor system. Finally, inspect the "Quadrant Link". It is the tiny bar with ball sockets on each end between the throttle arm and the throttle spool. The sockets get worn and introduce a lot of play preventing the throttle arm from positively tripping the idle switch reliably. Another thing that could be happening is the throttle spool is stiff. The grease gets old and makes it difficult to move freely. The cure is to take it all apart, clean all of the parts, lubricate and reassemble. Careful, there are a couple of springs in there and the parts are fragile and can break if you force them. Last, make sure the carpet and/or the floor mats are not interfering with the accelerator pedal preventing it from returning all the way.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

An easy way to tell if it's the quadrant link is when it's idling extremely high, go to the motor and manually push the spool and link fully closed with your hand. If it goes back to a normal idle then you know where your problem is. Back on my original motor days, I actually installed a spring on the link to the closing plate to always bring the throttle fully closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -----Dan B.

Hi fellas, many thanks for the advice.
    We only got a quick look at it today. In the 15-20 minutes the car was running, it idled at the normal 700-ish mark.
    What we did notice was, the little linkage arm doesn't seem to have any excess play, and the idle switch does seem to be operating properly. All the other suggestions will still need to be checked. I plan to disassemble everything at some stage and thoroughly clean it all... that engine bay seems to attract dirt and dust like a magnet!

Here's a quick video.

- Martin - VIN 5436 -

Pics of the spool area.
    What is that little white switch, out of curiosity? Doesn't seem to be in the parts manual.

DSC_4822.jpg

DSC_4825.jpg
    - Martin - VIN 5436 -

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by MML View Post
    Pics of the spool area.
    What is that little white switch, out of curiosity? Doesn't seem to be in the parts manual.

DSC_4822.jpg

DSC_4825.jpg
    The white switch is the wide open throttle (WOT). When pressed it puts the lambda into a fixed 60% duty cycle which would run the mixture richer if your mixture is adjusted correctly.

Note, you should have a rubber cap "seal" on the end of the throttle cable housing to prevent water from getting in the cable and freezing.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    1058

Is your throttle cable ok? Looks like it is busted..

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ratrace427; 05-03-2017 at 06:00 PM.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

? I don't see where it's mention that it is broken. Even if it is, all you need is to buy the inner cable, takes minutes to remove the old one and run the new one. I never had the rubber cap on mine and never had an issue while living in New York with it freezing but that too should be a simple fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -----Dan B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast