FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Question about A/C Panel Lights - Not coming on as normal

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Question about A/C Panel Lights - Not coming on as normal

I pulled out the relay and tried others, and did a continuity check on the original one- normally closed terminals are normally closed.

With the relay removed, resistor installed, key on, there is no voltage at pin 87a. But the other fuse 10 components work; the AC mode switch and door lock telltale are good
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Are you absolutely sure you have Power at RED resistor socket 87a with the key ON?
    No, not sure anymore. My test when I stated that must have been suspect. I now see no voltage there.
    Jon

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    No, not sure anymore. My test when I stated that must have been suspect. I now see no voltage there.
    Okay, now things make more sense.

Deleted previous statements
    Last edited by DMC5180; 04-28-2017 at 08:26 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Unfortunately on my car there isn't one. This was changed to support Dave's dome module. So I have a yellow wire that receives key-on signal from the Lg/W wires in the resistor. This is also not working, but Dave originally attributed it to a failed dome light module (I do not currently have one installed and am waiting on the mail to bring me a new one)

Are you sure the original dome light module had a Lg/W wire? I don't see it on the schematic.
    Jon

I honestly think you have an issue with the Butt splice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

But in my defense there, I confirmed continuity from the Lg/W pin of the resistor to the Yellow pin of the dome light module, and it's a double-crimped barrel and I only modified one of the two wires - so I should still see something from the other wire. I can try carefully taking it apart and re-crimping but that's not my preference, the wires are very short and I can't really spare to cut it out altogether.
    Jon

But in my defense there, I confirmed continuity from the Lg/W pin of the resistor to the Yellow pin of the dome light module, and it's a double-crimped barrel and I only modified one of the two wires - so I should still see something from the other wire. I can try carefully taking it apart and re-crimping but that's not my preference, the wires are very short and I can't really spare to cut it out altogether.

The way I see it, you have a BUTT splice which means the LG/W wire was cut to install it. With a single LG/W wire on one end and a single LG/W + Yellow on the other side. If the crimp on the single wire side failed it would cut power to the opposite side.

I know its bugger but your going to need to check it. Do you have a needle pointed Test light that you can poke into the wire insulation of LG/W single wire out of the splice?
    Last edited by DMC5180; 04-28-2017 at 08:49 PM.
    DENNIS

Well, shut my mouth. I carefully crushed the splice backwards so I could remove it without cutting more wire and installed a brand new, smaller gauge one. Now the A/C panel lights come on no problem with the key!!!

Thanks Dennis
    Jon

Well, shut my mouth. I carefully crushed the splice backwards so I could remove it without cutting more wire and installed a brand new, smaller gauge one. Now the A/C panel lights come on no problem with the key!!!

Thanks Dennis
    Happy to assist

CASE CLOSED
    Last edited by DMC5180; 04-28-2017 at 09:13 PM.
    DENNIS

Unfortunately on my car there isn't one. This was changed to support Dave's dome module. So I have a yellow wire that receives key-on signal from the Lg/W wires in the resistor. This is also not working, but Dave originally attributed it to a failed dome light module (I do not currently have one installed and am waiting on the mail to bring me a new one)

Are you sure the original dome light module had a Lg/W wire? I don't see it on the schematic.

No, I think that was an incorrect statement on my part. I have all my relay wires bundled up with Zip-ties and there is one LG/W wire that crosses from the front Relay bank to the Rear relay bank. For some reason I thought it went to the DLM. That said, I may have had some LG/W wire lying around when I did DAVE's DLM and used it instead of the Yellow wire you mentioned. You are correct, it is not shown on the Schematic.
    DENNIS

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4