FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Valley of Death/Distributor Cap

Valley of Death/Distributor Cap

So I finally got my Intake off... I just want to know if there was anything special that anyone would recommend while I have it off... I took it off so that I can replace one of the clips to the distributor cap. I imagine that I am also going to replace the spark plug wires. I don't know if I want to get into the clutch details.
    Here is a picture of my intake off
    Attached Images

Banned

Stick some rags in your intake ports so you don't end up accidentally dropping something in them that you will regret later.

Bill Robertson

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Your heater return pipe is looking very rusted. I would suggest replacing that. You should also replace the two hoses on the back of the water pump, if not the water pump it self. Replace those intake o-rings as well.

I replaced the water pump a few years ago and yes I do so with out taking off the intake. Don't ask me how I did it, but I did. I will ask DMCH tomorrow about those pipes then. Thanks for the advice!

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

You probably don't realize it but your valley has several inches of dirt laying in it. Go after all the valley voids with a vacuum cleaner and make absolutely sure you get all the dirt out of the 4 deepest holes. They are at least 2 inches deep. This is good maintenance to do periodically.

I've replaced engine blocks this year due to holes in the casting. Not Fun.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Even if you don't want to get into replacing the clutch slave, at least bleed it now.

New vacuum hoses?

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    Even if you don't want to get into replacing the clutch slave, at least bleed it now.

New vacuum hoses?
    I am going to get all new vacuum hoses... I don't want to do black though. I am thinking that a really nice shade of blue would look good!

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Quote Originally Posted by Utah DeLorean View Post
    I am going to get all new vacuum hoses... I don't want to do black though. I am thinking that a really nice shade of blue would look good!
    Hervey sells a royal blue set...

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post

New vacuum hoses?
    If your clutch slave has never been bled, you should replace (or rebuild) the slave. When I did my valley I bled the slave and two weeks later was back in there to rebuild it because of it leaking.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

I generally pressure-test the coolant system with the intake off. Easy to see if that Y-pipe or return hoses are leaky.

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast