FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing Stainless Bumper Letters - Adhesive?

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Installing Stainless Bumper Letters - Adhesive?

So way, way back when (like, in 2012) I ordered a set of stainless letters for my rear bumper from http://www.deloreaneurotec.uk/viewto...ad9b0b3dba255d

They sat in my parts box for what's now 5 years. I wasn't sure I was going to keep my rear bumper forever, and wanted to get the black parts at least buffed up to looking nice before I went and stuck these in. Now I realize how silly waiting was, and another owner here got my black urethane looking like new in all of 5 minutes, so I'm finally ready to "take the plunge" with these letters. Man, do I sound lame.

Anyway, the letters sold at the link above are not self-adhesive. I don't know how I should attach them to the bumper - I bought some 3M mounting tape but they are already the exact thickness of the embossing in the bumper - if I put a layer of tape under there too, they will stand proud and I don't want that.

Should I glue them in? What is the best adhesive? Is there any downside to gluing, other than being generally irreversible?

I'm not sure if the tape would really be reversible either, given that you'd have to pry them up under the best of circumstances and that could damage the bumper even if the adhesive was weakened with a heat gun first.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    03572

I would think a thin double sided tape would hold the best. With the heating in the sun and the different expanstion rates a hard glue probably would not hold.

Now maybe a rubber contact cement would work. That is the type you brush on both surfaces, let dry and then attach together. They sell it in a bottle with a brush made into the cap called DAP Weldwood.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

I thought the same thing about the 3M foam tape, that it would counteract the expansion rates. But the thinnest one I could find still made the letters stand out past the bumper. Do you know of something thinner that would be suitable?

Not a tremendous fan of the glue idea, really - just thought it might be the only option. I saw the Weldwood stuff on the same shelf at Lowe's as the 3M tape I got, but glanced past it because I assumed it was wood glue.
    Jon

I actually just found this on Amazon: 3mm x 25M Clear Double Sided Strong Adhesive Acrylic Tape For Mobile Phone Laptop Tablets LCD Screen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019OQ4ZG0..._cYJbzbHZYH5BR - says that it's 0.18mm thick, VHB, high temperature. Given that it doesn't need to support much weight at all, this might just do the trick.
    Jon

My VIN:    4665

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    I actually just found this on Amazon: 3mm x 25M Clear Double Sided Strong Adhesive Acrylic Tape For Mobile Phone Laptop Tablets LCD Screen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019OQ4ZG0..._cYJbzbHZYH5BR - says that it's 0.18mm thick, VHB, high temperature. Given that it doesn't need to support much weight at all, this might just do the trick.
    VHB is a trademark of 3M, but I don't see 3M listed in the description anywhere. I'd be a little cautious as you may not be getting what you are expecting in terms of durability and overall performance.

If you use VHB tape you might also consider the 3M 94 Primer which does an outstanding job of preparing surfaces for tape adhesion.

Thanks for the tip. I usually only trust (or give strong preference to) 3M products but I did realize this isn't theirs. I'm more concerned with thickness, or in this case thinness for this application. The letters are quite light so it should be pretty reasonable. For $6 it's worth a try I think.
    Jon

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hi Jon,

I used clear RTV silicone sealant and sanded the back side of the letters when I did mine..

Before..
    image.jpg

After...
    image.jpg

I think I got my letters from the same place.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

That's beautiful. I'm after the same effect, of course. Just not thrilled with the idea of glue for some reason! I ordered the tape I linked above and will give it a shot, if it sucks or can't hack it, I will go with a very light bead of silicone as you did. Lord knows I have enough of that laying around, in a half dozen colors. Seems like these cars are basically made of it.
    Jon

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

How Thick are the letters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Clear 3M trim adhesive used sparingly. Clean both surfaces well with alcohol first.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast