FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: DMCH Reproduction Window and Defrost Switches - Any Experience?

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

DMCH Reproduction Window and Defrost Switches - Any Experience?

So I bought some stickers from another forum member here to try and breathe new life into my window and defrost switches, but I'm just still not terribly pleased with the results. Switches are fine but caps are trashed from years of actuation and arm-resting.

Way back when, the only other option was the DMCH LED switches, but I remember they were slightly taller and some folks had issues with getting them to stay put in the console as a result. I now see they have reproduction non-illuminated switches as well.

Are these also taller? The illuminated ones are only an extra $20 - are they worth it? What color is the illumination inside?

I also see there is now a reproduction defroster switch. Anyone running one of those? Mine is again functionally fine, just kind of worn looking.

Thanks for sharing any experiences you might have.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    4266, Previously 11056

I have the LED ones. They fit fine for me. They looked almost the same inside as far as I could tell. The light is a green colour that matches the cig lighter ring.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

On stock restoration cars we use switches from DeLorean Europe. We have been very happy with his window switches and defrost switch offerings. These are different than what DMCH offers.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

I have the updated led window switches and defrost switch. I had to file down the sides with a notch to fit better. I heard you have to do that on occasion. Its no big deal really plus I have Rob Gradys Mattiligner that holds the switches better and act's as a arm rest so you dont bump the switches while shifting. The led switches light up green but i had them removed and changed to blue. They're worth it if you dont mind filing it down if its tight

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Wow, lots of replies really quickly - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    On stock restoration cars we use switches from DeLorean Europe. We have been very happy with his window switches and defrost switch offerings. These are different than what DMCH offers.
    Josh - do you mean these? http://www.delorean.eu/catalog/mobil...ucts_id=158003 - I just assumed they were the same as DMCH since the description doesn't say anything to the contrary. What's different about them?

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Dietrich View Post
    I have the updated led window switches and defrost switch. I had to file down the sides with a notch to fit better. I heard you have to do that on occasion. Its no big deal really plus I have Rob Gradys Mattiligner that holds the switches better and act's as a arm rest so you dont bump the switches while shifting. The led switches light up green but i had them removed and changed to blue. They're worth it if you dont mind filing it down if its tight

Looks really good - I have been considering a Mattaligner. I worked with Matt to come up with the first prototypes for this part (still have several of the early laser cuts somewhere in my garage!) but the final version is much cooler. What had to be done to change the color inside the switches? Is it just a removable LED or is it a more complex operation to change? I asked about the color because I'd also probably like to go blue, if they were lit at all.
    Jon

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

They first started off his green and then I just unsoldered the green light and change them to Blue. Thanks btw! I only had to file down the defroster switch but the window switches fit perfectly in the Mattaligner. The defroster switch always did stick up until I did that and now they all line up perfectly.

Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Dietrich View Post
    They first started off his green and then I just unsoldered the green light and change them to Blue. Thanks btw! I only had to file down the defroster switch but the window switches fit perfectly in the Mattaligner. The defroster switch always did stick up until I did that and now they all line up perfectly.

Were the LEDs surface mount or something easier to remove?
    Jon

My VIN:    03572

The DMCH LEDs are a "deep green" color. They are surface mount LEDs and constant current circuitry so no there is no standard "bulb" you can buy to replace. I will replace the circuit boards with blue LEDs or can sell you the assembled board if you can solder them into the new switches.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    The DMCH LEDs are a "deep green" color. They are surface mount LEDs and constant current circuitry so no there is no standard "bulb" you can buy to replace. I will replace the circuit boards with blue LEDs or can sell you the assembled board if you can solder them into the new switches.
    Ah, OK. So not a job for an amateur used to through-hole joints only

Sounds like a bit of a hassle. Would of course try the as-built green first if I went with the lit switches. Just not sure if I want that or the stock style reproductions yet.

Are any wiring mods needed for the illuminated switches or do they just work as-is?
    Jon

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Ah, OK. So not a job for an amateur used to through-hole joints only

Sounds like a bit of a hassle. Would of course try the as-built green first if I went with the lit switches. Just not sure if I want that or the stock style reproductions yet.

Are any wiring mods needed for the illuminated switches or do they just work as-is?
    The DMCH switches have a little metal jumper on the switch so no wiring changes are needed. They are "plug and play" but are a little longer. Robs Mattaligner lifts the switches a little so the longer switches may not be a problem if you use it.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast