FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Upper ball joint question

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Upper ball joint question

The swaged part that keeps my upper ball joints in place are not even and round as I would have expected, but more like wave shaped - see pictures. It's the same on both upper ball joints. Other than that there is no play, stickiness or any other obvious signs of wear.

So, is the wave shape the result of excessive suspension travel i.e. wear or was it ground that way to allow for proper movement?

Replace or reinstall?

20170507_124626.jpg20170507_124741.jpg
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Collision damage?

It looks like collision damage to me. In my experience the arm would have been bent for the ball seat to be distorted like that. Perhaps they were transfered from damaged control arms? I would replace both. Were they riveted or bolted into place?
    Rob

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Definitely replace. We started using Ed Uding's stronger joints on all of our service work and build cars. Well worth the investment. We stock these but you can always get directly through Edward.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    It looks like collision damage to me. In my experience the arm would have been bent for the ball seat to be distorted like that. Perhaps they were transfered from damaged control arms? I would replace both. Were they riveted or bolted into place?
    Rob
    Great input - thanks.

Both UCAs are straight as an arrow. The right side LCA was indeed slightly bent backwards (I have bought new LCAs for both sides) but not really enough to cause the upper ball joints to be bashed up like this. The right side UBJ (with the bent LCA) was riveted in place but the left side UBJ (LCA was OK) was bolted in.

I certainly will replace both.
    Last edited by Henrik; 05-10-2017 at 02:21 PM.
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    Definitely replace. We started using Ed Uding's stronger joints on all of our service work and build cars. Well worth the investment. We stock these but you can always get directly through Edward.
    Great to hear from both Rob and now Josh that these upper ball joints are trash. Will order new ones.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Henrik,

Slightly a tangent from the thread but would you be able to measure out the hole pattern on the ball joint for me?

It is for... a science experiment...

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Henrik,

Slightly a tangent from the thread but would you be able to measure out the hole pattern on the ball joint for me?

It is for... a science experiment...
    Sure! Today or tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    So Ed's ball joints are different from the standard ball joints supplied by the DMC network in the US? If so, in what way?

Well, lucky me: I just purchased a new set of LCAs from Ed and they came pre-installed with his lower ball joints so I guess I got the beefier ones by coincidence... So now I just have to buy a set of upper ball joints from Ed.

BTW, not sure in what sense Ed's ball joints are "stronger" but they sure are STIFF!!!. Can't even move them by brute force. Ed tells me that it is OK and that it will be just fine once installed on the car... True or BS?

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Thanks! no rush at all.

It was my understanding that all the delorean vendors (excluding Special T) stock the dmceu lower ball joints. They have proven themselves to be the best.
    They certainly are stiff out of the box but they will wear in. Not a major concern.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    16409

From what I know, Ed Uding's lower ball joints are different from the UK eurotec club ball joints. The US DMC shops have been stocking the UK Eurotec club ball joints.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast