Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: DMCH Reproduction Window and Defrost Switches - Any Experience?

  1. #21
    Senior Member Gregadeth's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  Los Angeles, CA

    Posts:    292

    My VIN:    6472

    Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    I've seen this trick elsewhere too. I feel like it is a known mod, are there specific dimensions for the wood block or is it a "snowflake" situation?
    No specific dimensions, I just kept trimming until it was able to fit under the console.

  2. #22
    Stuck in the 80s John U's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Kitchener, Ontario

    Posts:    505

    My VIN:    3462

    Club(s):   (DOI)

    Quote Originally Posted by Gregadeth View Post
    No specific dimensions, I just kept trimming until it was able to fit under the console.
    Just did this a couple days ago. Used a 2x2 piece of wood 5" long. Combined with the mattaligner, the LED switches stay flush

  3. #23
    My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Sacramento-ish

    Posts:    4,268

    My VIN:    02100

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    Just did this a couple days ago. Used a 2x2 piece of wood 5" long. Combined with the mattaligner, the LED switches stay flush
    Awesome. I ordered the LED switches and a Defroster as well. I forgot that taking the cap off the defroster switch effectively breaks it, and I lost patience trying to fix it yet again.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, April 2012 to present
    restoration log, March 2011 to April 2012
    full and detailed photo restoration log

  4. #24
    Senior Member BABIS's Avatar
    Join Date:  Sep 2012

    Posts:    449

    My VIN:    4502

    Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    I've seen this trick elsewhere too. I feel like it is a known mod, are there specific dimensions for the wood block or is it a "snowflake" situation?
    here an older reply from dmc Dave :

    Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Your console is too low - the console is made of paper often collapses from age and/or people climbing over them. Also the new switches are microscopically longer than the old ones which contributes to the problem (This is not an issue on a console that is at the original height, BTW).

    Remove the ash tray, and pull up on the console. You'll probably note that the switches will now fit (check under the switches to make sure you are not hitting the other wiring bundle).

    We often insert a small piece of 2x2 wood cut to about a inch long, just forward of the ash try hole, to hold the console back at the correct height. Others have actually re-formed the fiberglass body below the switches, but that's really overkill as opposed to just lifting the console slightly.
    VIN 4502

  5. #25
    Guy with a DeLorean Mark D's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Stevens Point,WI

    Posts:    1,892

    My VIN:    6125

    Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    That's good feedback, thanks Mark. I wonder if they'd look ok next to the reproduction window switches if I did all 3. It sucks these are so hard to get right!
    I think if you replaced everything (Blank switches, window switches, and defrost) then everything would at least look uniform. I'm not sure if the blank switches I got were just a bad batch that they functioned kinda clunky, or if that's how they all are. From what I've heard the window switches have a better feel to them but I haven't had two side by side to compare.

    The defrost switch label looks good, so at least you've got that one done. Do the vinyl labels come on a piece of contact paper or are you having to peel and stick? I'd think he best way to get the arrows for the window switches would be to have the place cutting them have them spaced a the correct height when they are cut. Then you'd just have to weed out the center of the arrow, apply to contact paper and then it would be easier to apply to the switch and have the arrows parallel.

  6. #26
    My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Sacramento-ish

    Posts:    4,268

    My VIN:    02100

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by BABIS View Post
    here an older reply from dmc Dave :
    Thanks! Silly as it sounds that's exactly the level of detail I needed

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I think if you replaced everything (Blank switches, window switches, and defrost) then everything would at least look uniform. I'm not sure if the blank switches I got were just a bad batch that they functioned kinda clunky, or if that's how they all are. From what I've heard the window switches have a better feel to them but I haven't had two side by side to compare.

    The defrost switch label looks good, so at least you've got that one done. Do the vinyl labels come on a piece of contact paper or are you having to peel and stick? I'd think he best way to get the arrows for the window switches would be to have the place cutting them have them spaced a the correct height when they are cut. Then you'd just have to weed out the center of the arrow, apply to contact paper and then it would be easier to apply to the switch and have the arrows parallel.
    The stickers are peel and stick and quite fragile, which is why it takes some time to position them correctly - lots of tiny little lines to get arranged just so. It would be better if they were on contact paper, you're right - but that's not how these were made, sadly. Ultimately I ordered replacement switches anyway (went with the LED ones) because I forgot that taking the cap off the Defrost switch dooms you to spending hours in rebuild hell. I managed to rebuild it one time, but had no luck this go around and took it as a sign that a new one would be $40 well spent.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, April 2012 to present
    restoration log, March 2011 to April 2012
    full and detailed photo restoration log

  7. #27
    Senior Member jamesrguk's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  England UK

    Posts:    192

    My VIN:    5462

    Club(s):   (DCH)

    Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Thanks! Silly as it sounds that's exactly the level of detail I needed



    The stickers are peel and stick and quite fragile, which is why it takes some time to position them correctly - lots of tiny little lines to get arranged just so. It would be better if they were on contact paper, you're right - but that's not how these were made, sadly. Ultimately I ordered replacement switches anyway (went with the LED ones) because I forgot that taking the cap off the Defrost switch dooms you to spending hours in rebuild hell. I managed to rebuild it one time, but had no luck this go around and took it as a sign that a new one would be $40 well spent.
    I could send them out on contact paper, I have successfully used masking tape in place of contact paper, you could give that a try. I sell loads of these and I have to sit weeding the waste material from between each sticker with a craft knife, you need a lot of patience!

    At least people are finding them useful, I sell quite a lot to non-DeLorean owners too.

    James

  8. #28
    My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Sacramento-ish

    Posts:    4,268

    My VIN:    02100

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrguk View Post
    I could send them out on contact paper, I have successfully used masking tape in place of contact paper, you could give that a try. I sell loads of these and I have to sit weeding the waste material from between each sticker with a craft knife, you need a lot of patience!

    At least people are finding them useful, I sell quite a lot to non-DeLorean owners too.

    James
    Yeah, they're beautifully made. But it's down to the skill of the person installing them I guess

    If they did come on a switch-cap sized sheet of contact paper with the arrows (in the case of a window switch) properly aligned and spaced it would be a much simpler job to apply them and get consistent results, for sure!
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, April 2012 to present
    restoration log, March 2011 to April 2012
    full and detailed photo restoration log

  9. #29
    Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Bunker Hill, West Virginia

    Posts:    546

    My VIN:    11035

    Quote Originally Posted by Gregadeth View Post
    No specific dimensions, I just kept trimming until it was able to fit under the console.
    Thats what i did. Its not really a big deal.

    Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

  10. #30
    My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Sacramento-ish

    Posts:    4,268

    My VIN:    02100

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    Ok, I got my new switches and they're very nice. The defroster switch is a little too black compared to the window/dummy switches, but such is life. That's minor. Waiting on my Mattaligner to come before I judge for sure, but I'll definitely need to prop up the center console a bit for everything to fit properly. Does anyone else have a few pics of the wood trick they did? I have a bit of hardwood 1x1 laying around the garage I could trim to fit but just interested in the positioning others used.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, April 2012 to present
    restoration log, March 2011 to April 2012
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •