FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to Bend Center Console to fit Better?

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

How to Bend Center Console to fit Better?

I'm planning on taking out my center console soon to fix a couple of issues. While the console is out I want to fix something with it that has bothered me since I've had the car. The console "flares out" in the foot well. I've used piano wire with hooks on the end to pull the two sides close but it really doesn't solve the issue. Is there a fix to make the console fit tighter?
    Shannon

My VIN:    6631

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

This is something that I'm looking at doing as well. I seem to remember someone epoxying a metal bar to the back of both sides (similar to the eyebrow fix method), but I can't remember right off.

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

I'm not sure what the console is made of - fiberglass or whatever, but I'm wondering if I can get a heat gun and heat up the crease to make it pliable so as to bend it more.
    Shannon

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    I'm not sure what the console is made of - fiberglass or whatever, but I'm wondering if I can get a heat gun and heat up the crease to make it pliable so as to bend it more.
    The console is made of heavy cardboard so heat won't work. I glued a strip of thin sheet metal to each side about 2" X 10".
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    17097 Canadian Edition

Club(s):   (DOI)

I have wrestled with this since day 1 also. I tried heating it a few years ago, then I clamped it pulling the curled corners inwards. I left it for a few days. It worked, and I reinstalled the console. Gradually that summer, it curled back out again on both sides. This Winter, I removed the console again and I fished in a piece of wire a little heavier than a wire coat hanger, into the inside edge where the leather is glued in place. I slid it between the leather and the fiberglass/board stuff on the inside edge - if you know what I mean. It was a tedious task. I wish I had photos to explain what I did. Anyway, it gave me the ability to bend the curled edges in. It is better than before but still not as tidy as I would like it to be. I know some guys have screwed the curled corners right into the tub. I’m not keen on that idea. Not sure of any other tips or tricks to solve this.

......Mike......

My VIN:    10110

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Run a solid wire/ coat hanger behind the console. Attach it to both sides of the console any way you want really. Using metal picture frame hangers like the one pictured to grab sides with out damage to console. I covered the frame hangers with gray rubber caps.
    13347459.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Run a solid wire/ coat hanger behind the console. Attach it to both sides of the console any way you want really. Using metal picture frame hangers like the one pictured to grab sides with out damage to console. I covered the frame hangers with gray rubber caps.
    13347459.jpg
    Hi Jack, not sure if I understand your idea. The tub and frame are between the two curled corners of the console when it is in its normal position. How can you run a wire between them?

......Mike......

My VIN:    10110

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

On my car the flare went away by having the wire hold the console sides tight against the walls.
    You can test this by holding the console at the point were the top of the tube and console meet.
    If the flare is to great you may need to combine the sheet metal and wire techniques to get a tight fit.
    I'll post a pic later tonight if I don't forget
    I believe I copied this technique from a post on the old .com site.
    So the credit goes to them they had photos also but that's all long gone I think.

I'd love to see pics if you can arrange it.

......Mike.......

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by micmak View Post
    Hi Jack, not sure if I understand your idea. The tub and frame are between the two curled corners of the console when it is in its normal position. How can you run a wire between them?

......Mike......
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    On my car the flare went away by having the wire hold the console sides tight against the walls.
    You can test this by holding the console at the point were the top of the tube and console meet.
    If the flare is to great you may need to combine the sheet metal and wire techniques to get a tight fit.
    I'll post a pic later tonight if I don't forget
    I believe I copied this technique from a post on the old .com site.
    So the credit goes to them they had photos also but that's all long gone I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by micmak View Post
    I'd love to see pics if you can arrange it.

......Mike.......
    I think he means this:
    http://ohiodeloreans.com/images/tips...rFlaps-Lrg.jpg

found here under "Tom Wilke's Center Console "Flap" Fix"
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast