FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Is there a quick test for checking fuel delivery to the motor

My VIN:    16563

Is there a quick test for checking fuel delivery to the motor

I start and run the car once every couple weeks or so. Randomly one day the car didn't actually start as if the motor isn't getting fuel. Checked the obvious gas in the motor and good battery etc. It cranks very strong so I guess I want to first check all the quick things first. Fuse, fuel getting to the fuel distributor etc. Any suggestions of the most common things this could be?? Thanks guys

Nathan
    1983 Delorean-auto, black/gray int. 38k miles

My VIN:    03572

When your trying to start the engine, the fuel pump is running. If you remove the air cleaner and tap on that air plate after trying to start the engine, it would have pressure if getting gas. Actually if it has pressure, give it a quick press and try starting the engine again. The "press" would inject fuel from all the injectors.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My concern is in your first sentence that the fuel pump is actually NOT running when I'm trying to start the engine. However it sounds like your test will tell exactly if the fuel is getting to the injectors at all. Ill try this when I'm home in a couple hours and report back.
    Thank you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I'm wondering if the problem isn't the Bosch 12v regulator

no pressure on that air plate while trying to start the motor or pressing the accelerator. I also checked the fuel pump fuse but it made no difference in or out. Is there a place I could squirt gas in to just to get the car started and confirm that spark, regulator, spark plugs arent the issue?

My VIN:    5482

If you jump the RPM relay, you can manually test the fuel pump. If you can hear the pump running, check the mixture plate like Dave said. If its not firm, you have an issue which could be a number of things. When was the last time the engine ran?
    Jeff

I would start it every couple weeks or so. but there was at least a good month of it not being started when I noticed this. Never had the issue and it used to start right up. Ill try the jump you mentioned. What exactly am I jumping? I have the fuse chart in front of me. But I smell zero gas going anywhere and pretty sure Im not hearing the fuel pump

I just went to turn the key to start it and hear anything that sounded on or running. The only humm I heard was from this module. It would no longer humm when I disconnected this plug

unless this plug is responsible for power to the fuel pump, there are no other noises that remain on in the car with the ignition on.

My VIN:    03572

That plug you show is your idle motor. The idle motor normally does buzz when you turn the key to on.

Most stock RPM relays will prime (run) the fuel pump for one second when you turn the key to on. Some stock RPM relays will not do this prime.

The "jumper" is when you pull the connector off the RPM relay and jumper the two large dia. wires on that connector (brown to white/purple). That should run the fuel pump without needing to turn the key to on and you should hear it running.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/