FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hot start issue. What next?

My VIN:    2412

Club(s):   (DMA)

Hot start issue. What next?

So I have been having a hot/warm start issue. After I drive it long enough to get up to temperature and letting it sit for more than about 30 minutes it will have trouble starting. Once it sits long enough it's fine. I believe I am losing pressure. I have replaced the accumulator, check valve and PPR O-Rings. I also double checked the torque on the banjo bolts at the distributor. Any suggestions on where to look next? Attached is some data if it interests you.

DeLorean Start Issue.jpg

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Does it start right up when you do a plug swap? If so you need to figure out why you are losing rest pressure. With all of the stuff you replaced, now it could be anything.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03572

Test how long you hold rest pressure. It is best to have a pressure gauge but you can do it without one. Remove the air cleaner, start your engine and run it for a few seconds then shut it down. Now lightly tap with your finger on the air plate and the rest pressure should keep it from moving. Don't press hard enough to move the air plate or that will cause the injectors to spray. Now time and repeat that "tap test" until that air plate moves freely. When it moves freely you have lost rest pressure.

In the hot summer, I found I had to hold rest pressure for greater than 3 hours or I would have warm start issues if I tried to start it 3.5 hours after shut down. Engine would cool enought after 4 hours and start fine.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

I had all the same issues. I replaced everything i could think of and find. Nothing worked for me.

I ended up making a switch that jumpers the cold stat valve. I wired it from the fuse box terminal to a switch by my shifter.

i know it is not the right fix, but it works. I know someone made a relay that has a delay fire that dose the same thing, but i like having the control over it.

I just did the CSV plug swap and it didn't start up right away. It sputtered, started and died. I then removed the CSV, put it in a cup, did the RPM relay jumpers and it does spray fuel. Ideas?

It held rest pressure at the plate for between 1.5 and 2 hours. Since I was having the issue after 30min is it safe to assume it's related to the CSV?

It is possible it is not fuel related. It could be some problem with ignition that is somehow affected by heat. If the plug swap didn't help you need to see if you have spark.
    David Teitelbaum

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
    So I have been having a hot/warm start issue. After I drive it long enough to get up to temperature and letting it sit for more than about 30 minutes it will have trouble starting. Once it sits long enough it's fine. I believe I am losing pressure. I have replaced the accumulator, check valve and PPR O-Rings. I also double checked the torque on the banjo bolts at the distributor. Any suggestions on where to look next? Attached is some data if it interests you.

DeLorean Start Issue.jpg
    Everything you listed as replaced are the only things involved in maintaining rest pressure in the system per the K-Jet design. I think you have a problem elsewhere that's not related to rest pressure if everything you replaced was done correctly.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Any suggestions of what to test next? Once it starts it runs great. Is there anything ignition wise that could be affected by heat?

Quote Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
    Any suggestions of what to test next? Once it starts it runs great. Is there anything ignition wise that could be affected by heat?
    Reread post #7 last part.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast