FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is leaking here?

My VIN:    4665

What is leaking here?

I know I need a new rear main seal, but what are the red fluid drops? This is located directly under the engine compartment.

IMG_0189.JPG.jpg

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

red is atf (transmission fluid)

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Ha! Consider your DeLorean fixed. I wish mine were that tight. 9 times out of 10 it's the dipstick tube seal that leaks and it's a PITA to get sealed up. I tried to do mine in the span of one evening and it takes two. One night to place the seals and for the RTV to set up, the next night you add fluid. I got to seal mine up next service.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You do have an automatic right? First check the level. If it is overfilled that can cause a leak. If the level is good then you really have to get underneath and see what is leaking. Could be a lot of things from a leaky hose to a bad seal. While you are under there check the final drive, they are often low.
    David Teitelbaum

Thanks guys. Yes, its an Auto

Needed direction of what to look into. I'll close this thread out with my findings.

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

If it is the dipstick tube, get the rubber fitting for the otterstat. It fits perfectly in the hole. Seal it with RTV.
    Shannon

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    If it is the dipstick tube, get the rubber fitting for the otterstat. It fits perfectly in the hole. Seal it with RTV.
    I disagree. I could not get the otterstat seal to find its way in there. I tried on more than one occasion and then each time went back to using the o-ring (two O-rings though).

It might have been a perspective thing conceivably though. It is one big PITA to work up into that spot while on jack stands in your garage. And ATF is wicked slippery once you goober it all over. Plus, if the bottom of that dipstick tube is not angled just right, it can be a bear to get the screw into the hole and threaded on and tight.

This job fits squarely in the "not as easy and simple as it sounds" category. These cars may continue to leak, and a little bit is just fine in my opinion, because fixing them 100% as far as leaks are concerned can be harder than it seems.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Just got a membership to this place a mile or so away from me. Aside from being a great maker shop, they have an auto lift with air tools. Can't wait to get under the car and see what needs to be done.

http://www.thevillageworkshop.com

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I disagree. I could not get the otterstat seal to find its way in there. I tried on more than one occasion and then each time went back to using the o-ring (two O-rings though).

It might have been a perspective thing conceivably though. It is one big PITA to work up into that spot while on jack stands in your garage. And ATF is wicked slippery once you goober it all over. Plus, if the bottom of that dipstick tube is not angled just right, it can be a bear to get the screw into the hole and threaded on and tight.

This job fits squarely in the "not as easy and simple as it sounds" category. These cars may continue to leak, and a little bit is just fine in my opinion, because fixing them 100% as far as leaks are concerned can be harder than it seems.
    It isn't easy and it's hard to get that tube in there just right but the otterstat seal does work. I finally solved the last leaks a couple of weeks ago so my car is currently leak free. Now if I can just get rid of that hunting idle....
    Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    It isn't easy and it's hard to get that tube in there just right but the otterstat seal does work. I finally solved the last leaks a couple of weeks ago so my car is currently leak free. Now if I can just get rid of that hunting idle....
    Hilarious. I could never get the otterstat to seal, even with a new cooling pipe and seal. I eventually tossed it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast