For years I've had the basic LED lights that was common a few years ago. Not the brightest solution out there, but it worked well for me. Well, recently I upgraded my daily driver with some cheap SMD LEDs from eBay (shipped directly from China). I had a spare 16 SMD bulb left over and I decided to pop it into the D. I wasn't sure if it would even fit as it's a 39mm, not 36mm like my originals, but it did! The light output was fantastic and way better then I imagined. The 16 bulb version was also just big enough to fit. Any larger and it would not fit in the bulb housing without serious modification. Below is a pic of the original LED I had and the SMD one. These should set you back no more then $2 each after shipping:

DSC_7105.jpg

After this, I decided to give my D a basic overhaul on the lighting. Nothing as major as what Farrar or Bill have done. I didn't want to spend hours pulling apart parts of the interior. Basically similar to modern cars with foot well lighting. So I ordered up some 48 bulb SMD panels. These come with various socket adapters and should also cost less then $3-4 each on eBay after shipping from China. They also come with double sided tape. I mounted one on each foot well. The passenger side was stuck directly to the glove box and the driver side I used a piece of plastic that was glued to the knee pad (I used caulking which is strong enough but easy to break off if I want to remove this later without damaging the knee pad).

DSC_7115.jpg DSC_7110.jpg

My original plan was to tap off the front dome light wiring as it ran under the dash. However, I noticed that it joined the main wire harness way up in the dash making it very difficult to tap. So instead I decided to tap at the main bundle of diodes in the driver's foot well for the switched ground. It was the blue diode on the side with the two wires (not the other side that has a single wire going to it). While I could have gotten the positive side from any source, I wanted to use the courtesy light circuit as that was shutoff by the new light delay module Dave made. This way when my doors are left open for a certain period of time, these will auto shutoff. So I decided to tap into the glove box light which has easy to access wiring. The end result is below and took me less then an hour to get it done without taking apart the interior!

DSC_7099.jpg

Finally, the trunk. I used the same 48 bulb array with the included festoon adapter. Simply plugged it in and used the included tape to stick it to the trunk lid. Easy to switch back later if I wanted to. While not bright enough for me to use for landing a plane or performing open heart surgery like Farrar's, it's more then bright enough for me to find my stuff in there at night.

DSC_7112.jpg

So now my interior and trunk are more then bright enough for me to find stuff and get in/out of at night. Total cost for the 2 dome light bulbs and 3 arrays was less then $15. Only downside was I had to wait a few weeks for them to arrive from China.