FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap/basic LED interior lights

My VIN:    3997

Do you have a link to the exact ones you bought?
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I generally don't like to link to eBay because the items will eventually expire. So for those reading this later on for the dome light, search eBay for "39mm LED 16":
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Dom...Q5fAccessories

For the panel, search for "48 SMD panel":
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Panel...Q5fAccessories

But for now if the links work, these are the ones I got.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

How's the ambient light in the trunk?

I've been wondering about how the adhesive for my light bars will hold up in the extreme heat down here, so I may go with your 48-LED panel which looks also like a nice solution. How's the light? Can you change the fuel pump by it? Can you find tools in the bottom of your tool bag with it?

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

I don't want to be part of the Human race Roman Legion's Avatar

My VIN:    VIN in progress.

Club(s):   (DCVA) (LVDG) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I might go with one of those panels for my Mustang's trunk light, how easy do you think that would be? Even with my current LED bulb, it can be hard to see the deep areas of my trunk; perhaps wire in a second light (LED panel) in the back area?

Formally hmm252000

Here's a quick pic I took with my cell phone. It was taken in a closed garage with the lights out, so the light is from the 48 SMD panel alone. It would probably be fine for fuel pump maintenance when it comes to general illumination (flashlight would still be needed for looking inside the tank).

cimg0009.jpg

I can't speak for the strength of the adhesive in high heat yet as it's been too soon. But worst case you can always peal the old stuff off and add your own that's much stronger.

They are great at dispersing light in all directions. However, you don't want to place these things in locations where you can easily look directly at it. I had one in the trunk of my MINI, but I was blinded every time I opened it. So in that case I had to remove it. But if the trunk is big enough to where you can place it say above and out of direct line of sight, you should be fine.

Thanks! That looks good!

Farrar

My VIN:    3997

I am so going to buy those 48 SMD bulbs for my foot wells. Thank you for the link. So you just taped them into the existing door lights in the Dashboard end-caps?

Or if you could, please take some photos of where you taped your wires into. I just want to make sure I do it right, the electrical system makes me nervous. I'd like for them to come on once the doors are opened and shut off when closed.
    Last edited by Ryan King; 07-11-2011 at 03:56 AM.
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

Formally hmm252000

I learned in another thread there appears to be two wire harnesses that were used. If you are lucky, the wires to the front dome light are easy to access under the dashboard on the passenger side. Look under there (by the speaker) and if you see 3 wires coming from the pillar area, you are in luck. Just tap into those and the lights will come on when either door is open. In my case, the wires were tightly wrapped up and immediately went into a larger harness making access very difficult. If you have that, then you'll need to do what I did where I tapped the power from glove box light and switched ground from the diode cluster in the driver foot well.

Unfortunately I'm about to board a plane to California for a week, so no more pictures until next weekend. At least there are plenty others who have wired up foot well lights, so they may be able to provide pics if needed.

If you can't find the appropriate wires, then you need to find another constant 12v source. The door plunger switches switch ground.

Farrar

My VIN:    01955

How do you pop off the cover for the interior lights without damaging them? (thought I'll ask before i break something)

Also, have you replaced the bulbs in the warning lights in the door and also in the rear license plate lights?

Mine has LEDs already in the interior and doors, but thought I could push them to the next level in brightness.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast