FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap/basic LED interior lights

My VIN:    3997

Quote Originally Posted by hmm252000 View Post
    The way I wired it up was a little more complicated become my wire harness is a little odd apparently. The easiest way is to tap into the wires coming down from the B pillar (these feed the front dome light). I've attached a picture of mine, but as you can see it's completely wrapped up in tape. Hopefully you won't have this and can easily tape the purple and purple/white wires. Just follow the passenger side door switch wiring up and it should be the first set of wires to join with it.

Attachment 3565

If yours is like the picture above where you can't really access the purple and purple/white wires coming from the pillar, let me know and I'll try to post more detailed pictures of my install.
    Thank you for that Bill. Should I do the same with the driver's side too? Or do I need to run wire from driver's side to the passenger side?
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

My name is actually Chris (I really need to rename my handle).

You can use that spot for both lights. The advantage of using this spot is the lights will turn on with either door (like the dome lights). Just run a pair of wires behind the center console to power the driver side.

My name is actually Chris (I really need to rename my handle).

You can use that spot for both lights. The advantage of using this spot is the lights will turn on with either door (like the dome lights). Just run a pair of wires behind the center console to power the driver side.
    Does tapping into those wires give the panels more power? I am just still wondering why they didn't work off of the door plungers.

Formally hmm252000

I'm not sure what's causing this. Maybe a bad tap on the positive side? Where are you getting your 12+? We know the negative side is good if door lights are working just fine. Hook up the panel to some other 12V source just to make sure it's good. Or temporarily connect another panel in it's place. Either way will at least confirm you have a good panel before chasing electrical gremlins.

I used the dome light circuit because I wanted both foot well lights to turn on with either door. It also put the lights on the courtesy light circuit, so my new digital dome light controller would turn them off automatically along with the rest of my interior/door lights.

My VIN:    6654

Club(s):   (DCF)

I'd like to see a session on adding LED's to your delorean at DCS 2012. Show start to finish dash to brakes and if they want a car to work on I'll voulenteer mine

I'll probably get in trouble but I'll double post this in the DCS 2012 thread.
    Thanks,
    Lenny

DMCH New Build in 2005, Stage II, DPI Stainless Exhaust, Eibach Suspension, 170 Mph Speedometer, Xenon Lights, Wings-A-Loft, DMC Wide Angle Side Mirrors, 3rd Brake Light

I'm not sure what's causing this. Maybe a bad tap on the positive side? Where are you getting your 12+? We know the negative side is good if door lights are working just fine. Hook up the panel to some other 12V source just to make sure it's good. Or temporarily connect another panel in it's place. Either way will at least confirm you have a good panel before chasing electrical gremlins.

I used the dome light circuit because I wanted both foot well lights to turn on with either door. It also put the lights on the courtesy light circuit, so my new digital dome light controller would turn them off automatically along with the rest of my interior/door lights.
    Maybe the door plungers have just enough juice to run the door lights. I think the courtesy lights run on a different source. Solid purple, when the door plungers and purple/blue wire.

Formally hmm252000

The whole courtesy light system is based on switched grounds. So you can get +12V from any source and have them work when connected to the door plungers (as they switch the ground on/off to control the light). That's why I question the power source or the panel itself because if it was the plunger, then it "should" effect the door lights too.

Let us know the exact wires you tapped into.

My VIN:    16409

Im still having problems. Can I call you Chris? I am trying to do the mod right now and its a pain.

And I just realized I am signed in as my friend Chris. This is Ryan talking. Hah
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

First, I want to send a big shout out to Chris. Thank you Chris!

I was able to call Chris and he gave me a bit more insight and how to get things wired up and working properly. I was having difficulty getting the lights to come on with the doors. In the end, I wasn't tapping into the correct wires at the A-Pillar.

For future reference for other people wanting to do this mod-

Positive Wires - Purple Wire
    Ground Wires - Purple/White

I stuck the passenger side panel to the glove box insert, much like what Chris did. And for the driver's side I attached it to the air box that is routed over the steering column. If I ever have to remove it for whatever reason, I can just disconnect the panel from the harness. Its very simple.

LED Installed 6.jpg

In conclusion...
    I love them!!!
    It is A LOT brighter in person! Overall I am happy with the mod and I plan on putting a few more in over time. (No pun intended) I've enclosed a few night shots.

LED Installed 1.jpg
    LED Installed 4.jpg
    LED Installed 2.jpg
    LED Installed 3.jpg
    LED Installed 5.jpg

My VIN:    16409

I was helping Ryan out with this, and I must say once we got it to work properly, I was impressed with the amount of light these LED board give off. I might consider doing this, but I'd like to try it with Warm LEDs instead. I have those in my dome lights and I like the way they look better. I think the warm LEDs in the footwells would look nice.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast