FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: LED Headlights

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Does anyone have the electrical current numbers those LED headlights draw?
    I'm wondering that myself. Not just for the burden on the electrical system (which I am sure is less than halogens), but to get an idea of how hot these units run. I've found that when many of these LED units get up there in lumen output, they start requiring external heat sinks. Some of the bulbs, not all but some, have integrated DC cooling fans on the rear section of the bulb assembly. As a desert car that runs into the occasional dust storm, I don't need silt gumming up the blades and bearings to cause a premature failure.

Quote Originally Posted by adam_knox View Post
    Does the color spectrum light up everything pretty good? Have lots of deer and small animals carelessly wandering around in the twilight hours and spotting them before they cross the road would be super helpful.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    With a color temperature of 5,000K, you should be ok. Although there is no listing of what the lumens are.

5K is the max I'd go with for any bulb on color temperature (save for fog lights which I prefer the yellow 2,500K in bad weather and to see animal eyes). Once you start getting a blue tint to your headlights, that's when you begin to decrease your vision.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin 02530 View Post
    Good thing is I got four housings for free from a buddy who owns a body shop so all I needed was the bulbs. Bought some on amazon today. I'll post the results on Sunday
    Here's a thread I made on using H4 housings with LED bulbs:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...ght-Conversion

Long story short, the beam pattern was terrible and required some modification. So make sure you do plenty of testing on the beam pattern before installing to verify they will work well!

My VIN:    02530

Quote Originally Posted by Chris4099 View Post
    Here's a thread I made on using H4 housings with LED bulbs:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...ght-Conversion

Long story short, the beam pattern was terrible and required some modification. So make sure you do plenty of testing on the beam pattern before installing to verify they will work well!
    Very interesting read Chris. Thanks for posting this. I see that I do not have the same bulbs or housings that you have but I also have not driven the car at night yet so I may have similar issues that I am not yet aware of. Guess I will need to take it around the block tonight and "see" or not. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I've installed these bulbs in 3 different vehicles now. I really like them because they have no cooling fan that can get jammed up with time. On my MINI, they worked perfectly and the beam pattern was great after being installed. As you saw in the other thread, I had to do significant modification to get them to work with those housings for my D. I also installed them in a Leaf and while the pattern was good, the beam went way up and I had to readjust the headlights down a lot to compensate.

LED bulbs are great but they vary a lot between each make and housing. I also now leave the stock bulb in on one side and switch the other to LED so I can do a quick comparison. That's how I noticed the Leaf alignment being so far off. It was then a simple matter of adjusting the beam down until it matched the incandescent light. I then replaced the other bulb and adjusted it until it matched the other light. All 4 of my cars have LED headlights and brake lights!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2