FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Engine Replacement Question

Engine Replacement Question

I haven't been part of this group long but I have enjoyed seeing what everyone has done with their cars.

One question I havent seen posted is: can the stock engine be replaced with a smaller engine, possibly a newer, more fuel efficient unit?

I'm hoping to acquire a DeLorean one day soon, just scoping out the possibilities.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by jpjones125 View Post
    I haven't been part of this group long but I have enjoyed seeing what everyone has done with their cars.

One question I havent seen posted is: can the stock engine be replaced with a smaller engine, possibly a newer, more fuel efficient unit?

I'm hoping to acquire a DeLorean one day soon, just scoping out the possibilities.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
    Anything is possible depending on how persistent you are and how much money you want to spend. There have been many different types of engines "swapped" into the Delorean including electric Deloreans. The stock 5-speed can get up to 25 MPG. Not too bad for '80's automotive technology. If you are looking for a "How To", there aren't any. Unless you are using it as a Daily Driver (DD) the MPG isn't all that important. The 2 engined Delorean only got about 5 MPG and it only carried about 5 gallons!
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Very possible.

I would love to see a vw tdi engine swapped into a delorean, that would be pretty neat.

There is currently a 2.2L Ecotec swap in progress, this is a very fuel efficient motor, I could easily get 35mpg on the highway with my cobalt, which weights the same as a delorean.
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?15...ghlight=ecotec

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    2632

I realize this is an old post, but I wanted to add my 2 cents worth. I did an Ecotec swap in mine and have now driven it for over 5 years without any problems. It's not as fast as some of my other rides (SS Camaro, Pro street 67 Chevy truck, 400 SBC 71 Beetle) but you can't beat the reliability, enhanced performance, and ease of maintenance with this swap. It gets great fuel economy and runs and drives like any other modern car on the road. The Ecotec has to be one of the best choices for an economy engine swap out there.
    Stex

Quote Originally Posted by Stex View Post
    I realize this is an old post, but I wanted to add my 2 cents worth. I did an Ecotec swap in mine and have now driven it for over 5 years without any problems. It's not as fast as some of my other rides (SS Camaro, Pro street 67 Chevy truck, 400 SBC 71 Beetle) but you can't beat the reliability, enhanced performance, and ease of maintenance with this swap. It gets great fuel economy and runs and drives like any other modern car on the road. The Ecotec has to be one of the best choices for an economy engine swap out there.
    How fast 0-60?

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    How fast 0-60?
    Couldn’t comment on 0-60, and granted I had much less thought into beating the shit out of the drivetrain, but we would run high 13’s in the 1/4 on slicks with the cavalier on Stock cobalt blower, pullied down. The turbo I’m running on the Delorean is capable of a bunch more, how much I put to it tho we will see

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    How fast 0-60?
    My car is an automatic, not my first choice, but it is what it is. It doesn't have a ton of bottom end (take off), but it does really well when it gets moving. It will bury the speedometer in 2nd gear and will go faster top end than I care to go in that car. I’m not sure what the actual 0-60 is in my car, but it performs similar to a mid-80s 3rd gen Camaro with a 5.0 305.
    Stex

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Which specific Ecotec did you use? 2.0? 2.4? HP?

Did you have a dead PRV or was this just a preferential swap
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Trans? Pics? A/S/L? (J/K).

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Which specific Ecotec did you use? 2.0? 2.4? HP?

Did you have a dead PRV or was this just a preferential swap
    The original PRV had a hole rotted through the coolant passage into the combustion chamber of the cylinder head. I put a new head on it, drove it less than 100 miles. Then one day I cranked it up and had coolant pouring from the oil dipstick tube. After breaking the engine back down I discovered a half inch hole near one of the piston sleeves leading into the crankcase. It appears that years on sitting with bad coolant caused substantial corrosion which eventually ate through the block and head. Long story short, I did the swap out of necessity, but I couldn't be happier with the conversion. The Ecotec is the L61 2.2.
    Stex

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast