FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Engine Replacement Question

My VIN:    2632

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Which specific Ecotec did you use? 2.0? 2.4? HP?

Did you have a dead PRV or was this just a preferential swap
    The original PRV had a hole rotted through the coolant passage into the combustion chamber of the cylinder head. I put a new head on it, drove it less than 100 miles. Then one day I cranked it up and had coolant pouring from the oil dipstick tube. After breaking the engine back down I discovered a half inch hole near one of the piston sleeves leading into the crankcase. It appears that years on sitting with bad coolant caused substantial corrosion which eventually ate through the block and head. Long story short, I did the swap out of necessity, but I couldn't be happier with the conversion. The Ecotec is the L61 2.2.
    Stex

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

I’m also using the 2.2. I trust it, and much easier/cheaper to find then a 2.0. Difference between mine and stex is mine being manual and forced induction

In terms of reason, wanted something different, double stock hp and budget reliability. I wanted to use a ford ecoboost, but the harness alone was around $1200. I was into Sunfires and cavaliers when I was younger, had plenty of knowledge of the engine and parts still kicking around. 2.2 with 30k miles on it - $400. Stand alone harness $250. Turbo $400ish. Most expensive part was josh s. having a flywheel made.

I’d like to safe tune it around 300whp
    Last edited by Gfrank; 02-16-2018 at 11:28 AM.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Gfrank View Post
    I’m also using the 2.2. I trust it, and much easier/cheaper to find then a 2.0. Difference between mine and stex is mine being manual and forced induction

In terms of reason, wanted something different, double stock hp and budget reliability. I wanted to use a ford ecoboost, but the harness alone was around $1200. I was into Sunfires and cavaliers when I was younger, had plenty of knowledge of the engine and parts still kicking around. 2.2 with 30k miles on it - $400. Stand alone harness $250. Turbo $400ish. Most expensive part was josh s. having a flywheel made.

I’d like to safe tune it around 300whp
    For the sake of your clutch I would keep it sub 300whp. But you will see
    I have a fairly simple upgrade path to a stronger clutch.

Also hurry up and get your car done lol

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

My son has a 2009 Saab 9.3 turbo. All the electrical bells and whistles on the Saab make it a progressively more difficult car to work on as it ages. He will be getting something new for a graduation present this May...... My question is whether I should be looking at keeping this engine? The trade in on the car would be squat I'm sure. I need to double check to see if it is burning oil (I had a suspicion, but need to check) but the turbo is sound and the thing is like a little bat out of hell.

How much work is involved with getting one of these into our cars?
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    My son has a 2009 Saab 9.3 turbo. All the electrical bells and whistles on the Saab make it a progressively more difficult car to work on as it ages. He will be getting something new for a graduation present this May...... My question is whether I should be looking at keeping this engine? The trade in on the car would be squat I'm sure. I need to double check to see if it is burning oil (I had a suspicion, but need to check) but the turbo is sound and the thing is like a little bat out of hell.

How much work is involved with getting one of these into our cars?
    Pretty much like any engine swap - an enormous amount of work. I'm working on LS swap with a provided "hard parts" swap kit, and even with that, the complexity and working involved is monstrous.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    For the sake of your clutch I would keep it sub 300whp. But you will see
    I have a fairly simple upgrade path to a stronger clutch.

Also hurry up and get your car done lol
    299.99 to hell with the clutch
    Your more then welcome to come down and wrench lol

In all hoesnty I’d call the ecotec a rather simple swap over all. Done much worse. Easy mount, pleantly of room for everything. A lot less challenging in some aspects then a v8.
    But that question comes down to your skill and who you know, I’d call myself a good fabricator, had it mounted in a afternoon, my option for fly wheel was make one from scratch, this being over my head, but luckily I’ve got friends like josh that can do this easy and go above and beyond for you. Lots of time tinkering on the little things

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2