FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New 1981 owner. Trying for "$2000, non-destructive" Time Machine mod. Wish me luck!

New 1981 owner. Trying for "$2000, non-destructive" Time Machine mod. Wish me luck!

Hi!

My name is Brett.

I am the owner of a 1981 Automatic which I finally got running a week ago (curse you, "live" fuel pump!).

In addition, I operate the VA Comicon in Richmond. It has always been my dream to own a Time Machine.

I am trying for a low-budget "non-destructive" Time machine conversion, cutting some corners to achieve an overall look.

I wish I had a ton of $$ to do it movie authentic, but I am still paying off the car itself. Hah!

So, here is what I have, and my thoughts so far:

Diamond Select Flux Capacitor ($350)
    1st Gen Ipad for Time Circuits ($100)
    Hi Res teardrop window Decals of components ($50)
    Schumacher 12v portable power ($100)
    Sound Activated LED battery powered visual Equalizer ($10)
    Custom cut Grille material in 4' sections ($100)
    Piping for exterior grille pieces ($100)
    Laser Cut aluminum sheet using BTTFparts CAD design for rear exhaust / back section ($600)
    Dodge Polaris Hubcap, Circular stove chimney piece, and PVC section for fusion reactor ($60)
    Blue LED volt meters for vehicle dash hardwired for glovebox piece ($50)
    Old Android phone with free GPS speedometer placed inside of custom built box from lowes ($20)
    4 8port ethernet switches and 16 multi-colored 20' cables for flux box and cables ($120)
    40 2.5" suction cup dent pullers to attach pieces to exterior without damage ($100)
    60 ft BLUE 12v LED hi yield waterproof ropelight ($60)
    12v switch activated remote control power box ($15)

Yup...that's my budget. My hope is to have the entire mod be removable without leaving a scratch using suction cups. Sounds crazy, I know.

My goal is to have the entire mod done by November so I can bring it to the VA Comicon that I Run at the Raceway to try to raise some $$ for charity with it.

If there are any other Delorean owners who would like to have their car on display at the show, PLEASE contact me at [email protected]. Thanks!

Wish me Luck!

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Have you tried a suction cup on the stainless? I was never able to get one to stick as the surface isn't smooth.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Hi...we messed with "dent pullers". It does ONLY work on the flattest of surfaces, with a slight moisture bond. the 4 1/2 inch one held on for quite some time. My new plans calls for smaller ones.

My backup plan is use the existing bolts in the back above the rear window. Not ideal though.

Best,

Brett

My VIN:    6125

Glad to hear you're doing this with a charity organization in mind.

I'm not sure what you're plans are exactly with suction cups but keep in mind that they do not work (for very long) on a brushed stainless steel surface. The most common way for people to find this out is by mounting a go-pro camera to the exterior of their car only to have it fall off a short while later. The straight line grains of the brushed surface do not allow for a suction cup to remain attached as it would on a smooth surface.

If you're planning on driving this car at all at any speed with the time machine props attached be 100% certain that parts aren't going to come flying off into traffic.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Problem solved !!

Hope we don't come across as too negative. Wish you luck in the endevour
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    First 700

Don't know if you already got the flux capacitor. If you are crafty, and have time, you might look into making your own. Have a look here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Flux-Capacitor/

My VIN:    5436

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Have you tried a suction cup on the stainless? I was never able to get one to stick as the surface isn't smooth.
    I wonder if you could attach rare-earth magnets to the inside of the body panels and also on the props, e.g. the flux bands etc.
    Invisible to the eye but very strong.
    - Martin - VIN 5436 -

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Where do you plan on getting decals for the rear windows? I saw a picture of decals like that on a car before, and messaged the owner for details, but never heard back.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

Hi...I was able to get them printed up onto window decals. I then used a razor blade to trace the outlines. Pretty easy. Here's a pic:

IMG_20140508_171327 (1).jpg

My VIN:    4534

Those command adhesive strips work well and don't leave any residue on the stainless or fascias. I decorate Red every year for the local Chistmas parade and I use that to hold the garland on.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast