FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: No Power to fuse 7 in fuse box for fuel pump while key is on

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The good news, is that someone has done some work in there previously. The hoses are relatively new and the fuel pump harness sticking out of the pump cover appears to have been replaced (clean white connector half).

As I zoom in in on the other (dirty half) there appears to be green corrosion present on the 12v wire terminal. You should try to clean it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Now that you are at the connector to the fuel pump, check for power AND ground there. You MUST have BOTH for the pump to run. Depending on which one is not present (power or ground) will determine your next steps. To get power you can jumper the RPM relay for testing purposes.
    Thanks for reposting post #28

DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    16563

The car went to dmc in garden grove right when I bought it 3 years ago. I'm assuming they did the work that you see as being recent. As far as the connector is concerned I actually used a volt meter and touched red to the white lead and the black to the ground lead to get my reading of 11v. Is that good to test ground? I would assume that's ok but I could run a continuity test on the ground if I need to

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    1983 Delorean-auto, black/gray int. 38k miles

Quote Originally Posted by artisticent View Post
    The car went to dmc in garden grove right when I bought it 3 years ago. I'm assuming they did the work that you see as being recent. As far as the connector is concerned I actually used a volt meter and touched red to the white lead and the black to the ground lead to get my reading of 11v. Is that good to test ground? I would assume that's ok but I could run a continuity test on the ground if I need to

You have confirmed a completed circuit. No real need to continuity other than looking for ohms resistance.

Reconnect the pump connector and jumper the rpm relay again. If don't here it hum you have a dead pump.

DENNIS

How much fuel is in the tank if you had to guess?

DENNIS

Just to be sure I tested continuity to the ground on my foot well. All good. So ill jumper again. But hard to hear a hum with the engine cranking at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    How much fuel is in the tank if you had to guess?

I filled it with an extra 5 gallons to be sure and its sitting flat

So here's what I've discovered. Jumping the RPM relay gives me power to the fuel pump connector in the trunk with key on and without cranking. However the car will still not start and I'm hearing no humming so I think we've successfully diagnosed it's a fuel pump

If you jumper the relay, you don't need to crank the engine to hear the pump. You can also put your hand down by the pump and feel vibrations if it's running. If nothing, it's time for a pump.

You have options there. You can either stick with the OEM style or do the the New DMCH replacement module, which includes a new integrated sending unit.

DENNIS

My instinct says to go with the dmch replacement. Im not too worried about cost if its the right part to have. Besides the labor of these repairs in time has more value than the part cost so Id rather install the right part.
    1) Where should I get the part and do I want the dmch replacement
    2) Does the fuel pump come out from under that big hose clamp and removing it from the top

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast