FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Hose split, leaking ATF

Hose split, leaking ATF

Hey all,
    I have traced a small ATF leak back-to a hose coupling between the transmission hose and the shift line. It is just zip tied on each and but the rubber is split on the top side. I am posting a couple photos of the location. Is this an actual part or something I should just fine locally and swap it out or is it something bigger?
    Attached Images

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_a_davis View Post
    Hey all,
    I have traced a small ATF leak back-to a hose coupling between the transmission hose and the shift line. It is just zip tied on each and but the rubber is split on the top side. I am posting a couple photos of the location. Is this an actual part or something I should just fine locally and swap it out or is it something bigger?
    If I am correct, that is the shift cable from the transmission to the shifter. They leak. The "repair" is to order some heat shrink tubing from PJ Grady. It will just fit over the end and will shrink down and seal the leak once you hit it with a heat gun.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3997

Otherwise I believe Ed Uding from Europe sells a new, more robust, and from what I hear, leak free cable!
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

Courtesy Link
    http://www.delorean.eu/catalog/produ...ducts_id=93044

Also had to dig up the photo on his facebook page, for your viewing pleasure!
    10402458_10204122303449384_5622933359515336612_n.jpg

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If I am correct, that is the shift cable from the transmission to the shifter. They leak. The "repair" is to order some heat shrink tubing from PJ Grady. It will just fit over the end and will shrink down and seal the leak once you hit it with a heat gun.
    This does work for a while and definitely slows down the leaking but I don't consider it a permanent repair. We carry Ed's new line along with most of his other products but have not fitted one yet so I can't say firsthand yet if this is the ultimate fix. Where did you hear that encouraging info Ryan? The A.T. selector cable has been one of the hardest leaks to fix since day one. BTW those pics are NOT of our heatshrink type repair.

Rob
    Last edited by PJ Grady Inc.; 05-29-2017 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    This does work for a while and definitely slows down the leaking but I don't consider it a permanent repair. We carry Ed's new line along with most of his other products but have not fitted one yet so I can't say firsthand yet if this is the ultimate fix. Where did you hear that encouraging info Ryan? The A.T. selector cable has been one of the hardest leaks to fix since day one. BTW those pics are NOT of our heatshrink type repair.

Rob
    I believe I recall Ed posting about a more robust product. Better built and better quality material. Haven't had one myself to test.

www.delorean.eu

My VIN:    11626

Garantee

We give 3 years garantee on the new automatic shift cables.

Regards Ed Uding
    www.delorean.eu

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The leak is internal where the shift wire goes into the trans through a rubber seal. All that wrapping the outside of the cable does is move the output of the leak to inside the frame. Replace or repair the cable itself, which you have to remove from the transmission for a proper repair.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    The leak is internal where the shift wire goes into the trans through a rubber seal. All that wrapping the outside of the cable does is move the output of the leak to inside the frame. Replace or repair the cable itself, which you have to remove from the transmission for a proper repair.
    I believe they leak both internally and externally as the outer housing shrinks from the heat of use over time. The housing pulls away from the metal ends exposing the coiled metal inner support. That is why the heatshrink slows it down significantly but yes ultimately more pushes past the inner seal. Hopefully Ed's new cable puts the problem to rest for good. I hope to install one this week on a local owners car and will be able to moniter the results.
    Rob

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    I believe they leak both internally and externally as the outer housing shrinks from the heat of use over time. The housing pulls away from the metal ends exposing the coiled metal inner support.
    I don't normally disagree with anything Rob says, but the rubber seal is closer to the oil (ATF) than where that cable ends. If the rubber seal isn't leaking around the actual wire that does the shifting, nothing will come out the cable even if it's exposed. OTOH if there is oil in that area, even if you seal it up the oil will simply migrate to the other end of the cable and drip into the frame where the cable comes out of the jacket. It takes a long time to fill up the frame area enough to hit the ground, so it seems like it's fixed. For a while.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC