FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Pump works, but getting no power.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    3610

Pump works, but getting no power.

So the car ran great two weeks ago, but now won't start. After some checking, 12v straight to the fuel pump runs it but no power is getting to it.

I've checked that the relay is receiving 12v. 12v to ground on the relay socket is good, and bypassing it yields no results.

Fuses 1 and 7 are receiving 12v.

What else should I be doing.

My VIN:    03572

Sounds like your inertia switch may have opened.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Sounds like your inertia switch may have opened.
    It wasn't popped up when I checked, is there something I'm missing.

My VIN:    03572

You need to put a meter on the connections on the fuel pump. Then you can determine if it's the ground side or power side at fault.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    You need to put a meter on the connections on the fuel pump. Then you can determine if it's the ground side or power side at fault.

I have continuity between relay socket and the positive lead of the fuel pump, and continuity between the inertia switch socket and negative socket of the fuel pump.

When I jump the relay I only get about five volts at the fuel pump to ground.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

That's not a sign of bad input Voltage. That's a sign of resistance from poor contact of the switch contacts. Once it starts it gets worse until you have a melt down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you have an "early" inertia switch, there was a recall because they go bad. The newer one has a splotch of white paint on it and it was moved to the side kick panel, not on the Lambda counter.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If you have an "early" inertia switch, there was a recall because they go bad. The newer one has a splotch of white paint on it and it was moved to the side kick panel, not on the Lambda counter.
    Correct David the 81 issue inertia switch was recalled for exactly this reason so once this switch is replaced with the revised '82 on switch the problem will not recur. The recall specifies relocating the switch from the lambda counter bracket to the bulkhead panel behind the hood release bracket to avoid incidental activation and more easily identify the switch is updated. All 81's are part of this recall and there are two versions of improved factory replacement parts to add to the confusion. The recall switch #109277 had the white splash of paint. The later switch #111209 used in 82 & 83 cars had a small S stamped above the production number on the switch housing. Both improved switchs were issued as replacement parts but both used a dark steel center terminal in place of the early defective units all brass electrical terminals. All 81 owners who have the switch mounted on the lambda bracket should inspect to see if its updated and then relocate if it passes muster. This is rather important for all '81 owners as the failure rate for these switches is approaching 100%.
    Rob