FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hot start issue, won't start right after turn off the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan S. View Post
    O-ring?
    I've put a new oring recently too.

Fernando Silotto. Sao Paulo - Brazil
    Delorean Vin 3772

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Three more tests. Before trying to start it see if there is any resistance when you try to push the air sensor plate down. Now try starting hot again but check for spark. If you have spark then try the plug swap and see what difference that makes.
    Last edited by David T; 05-18-2017 at 09:35 AM.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by madstudios View Post
    Hi everyone!

I'll describe my hot start issue:

If I turn off the car with the engine hot, and try to turn on right after (or within a minute or 2), it won't start... and If I try to crank for a couple of times it smells like the engine is flooded. I have to wait a bit, like 5 to 10 minutes and then it fires up.

Any thoughts?

Delorean Vin 3772
    This may not fix your issue, but try depressing the gas pedal 1/4 - 1/2 while cranking the Hot engine. It should help clear the excess fuel and help it to re-start it.

It is stated in the owners manual to depress the throttle a 1/4 travel to aid in starting. We are so used to modern EFI vehicles we tend to skip this step and don't touch the pedal when cranking most of the time the engine fires right up this way but not always for some situations.

What is the Ambient Air temp when the problem occurs most of the time?
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Hot start issue, won't start right after turn off the engine.

Hi everyone!
    Today I've figured what was going on.
    My Ignition coil gets too hot, and does not provide the spark needed to fire the engine. That's why if I wait for about 10 minutes, it works, I think it cools down and works.
    The coil installed is not stock, was put by PO, cause we don't have the same one from bosch here in Brazil, so I had another one from a friend and now its working.

I've already ordered one from DMCH, waiting to arrive.

Delorean Vin 3772
    Last edited by madstudios; 05-23-2017 at 10:47 PM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

We have seen similar problems before with none-stock ignition coils. People try them thinking it will give them a boost in performance. That doesn't happen BUT they do often cause problems. Make sure all of the connections are clean and shiny on the ballast resistor and it is connected up correctly, ie, all of the wires are where they are supposed to be on it. Sometimes it gets rewired or even bypassed to make the coil even hotter. In fact, on some performance coils, you remove the stock ballast resistor and use a special one that comes with the coil. Mallory did that back in the 70's.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    We have seen similar problems before with none-stock ignition coils. People try them thinking it will give them a boost in performance. That doesn't happen BUT they do often cause problems. Make sure all of the connections are clean and shiny on the ballast resistor and it is connected up correctly, ie, all of the wires are where they are supposed to be on it. Sometimes it gets rewired or even bypassed to make the coil even hotter. In fact, on some performance coils, you remove the stock ballast resistor and use a special one that comes with the coil. Mallory did that back in the 70's.
    Thanks David!
    Do you know the resistance of the stock ballast resistor, correctly wired?
    This Bosch coil requires a 0.8ohm ballast.
    The primary resistance is 1,2..1,6.

Delorean Vin 3772

My VIN:    03572

Thanks David!
    Do you know the resistance of the stock ballast resistor, correctly wired?
    This Bosch coil requires a 0.8ohm ballast.
    The primary resistance is 1,2..1,6.

Delorean Vin 3772
    Stock resistors are 0.5 ohms each and connected in series. So you get 1.0 ohms during normal running and 0.5 ohms when your starting the engine.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Nothing is plugged in the hot start relay, and after few more tests, unplugging the CSV had no improvement.

Delorean Vin 3772
    I would suspect one or more injector(s) leak while at rest, at this point.

I've installed a new ignition coil, and apparently the old one was causing the problem. Tested and everything is working great!

Delorean Vin 3772

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2