FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Engine Revs When Put in Park

My VIN:    2729

Engine Revs When Put in Park

When I start the car in park everything's fine, it idles around 750. However, when I arrive at my destination and put the shifter in park, the engine revs around 2000 and stays there. Anyone have experience with this?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My VIN:    03572

Try starting it with a hot engine. Does it still hold 775 RPM?

A lot of people have a high idle when the engine is hot because of miss adjustments or bad deceleration valves. My car would idle at 1000 RPM when hot even with the curb idle screw backed all the way out. That turned out to be bad deceleration valve springs.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Mattglas View Post
    When I start the car in park everything's fine, it idles around 750. However, when I arrive at my destination and put the shifter in park, the engine revs around 2000 and stays there. Anyone have experience with this?

Try going for another drive. When the is hot again and sitting at 2000, get out and go back to the the engine and manually make sure the idle micro-switch is depressed. Report back with your findings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech RamblinDMC's Avatar

My VIN:    2203

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Most likely your idle speed motor is not functioning correctly. Make sure your idle speed switch is engaging when the throttle is closed.

My VIN:    3937

Your connector on the idle speed thermistor is probably loose.

http://store.delorean.com/p-6749-the...dle-speed.aspx

Thermistor shown in valley.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    2729

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I'd try them out but a new problem came up. When I started my car it stalled after like 30 seconds. Then when I tried to restart the engine it wouldn't start while cracking. After I stopped cranking, it sounded like it was running on like one cylinder for a split second and then wisps of smoke started coming out of the intake box. That's not a good sign is it?

Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech RamblinDMC's Avatar

My VIN:    2203

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Remove your idle speed motor, but leave it plugged in, have somebody crank the car and see if it opens fully. This will tell you if your idle ECU is good or bad.