FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Source for stainless nut, bolts, threaded screws, etc.

Source for stainless nut, bolts, threaded screws, etc.

What's a good source for stainless metric nuts, bolts, etc. hardware?
    -Ron

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Home Depot
    McMaster
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    6125

Bolt Depot.com is my go to source. The deciding factor for me was that you can buy in single quantities instead of having to buy a minimum of 20, or 50 like McMaster and other sites. Prices are competitive per piece and you can save buying in larger quantities if you are wanting to have a stash of spares for common sizes.

https://www.boltdepot.com/

And worth mentioning, if you want M7 stainless hardware, you can order it here (not inexpensive):

http://www.custom-fasteners.co.uk/m7...lt-c2x14722614

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I've always been pretty amazed at what you can find at Ace Hardware. Emergency use only, it's by far the most expensive way to buy nuts and bolts.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Mr. G's Hardware. When you buy in small quantities you will always pay a LOT more per piece. You can wind up paying more for 10 pieces than you would for a whole box of 50. You can also pay more for shipping than the parts are worth. There is no need in most cases to go for S/S hardware. Ordinary plated mild steel is more than sufficient for 99% of all applications. If you find yourself using a lot of hardware it makes sense to spend for an assortment. That way you will always have what you need on hand. If you are in a large city find the local guy that supplies nuts, bolts, and washers to the community. If you buy boxes from him you will save shipping and get the parts much cheaper.
    David Teitelbaum
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10201

I prefer McMaster and Ace. McMaster is by far the easiest to find the exact hardware you need. if I need a few pieces of an uncommon size, I'll use Ace.

I know zinc-plated is fine for most application, but I'm obessed with putting on as much stainless as I can. Stainless just looks better and I never have to worry about shearing rusted bolts.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Bolt Depot.com is my go to source. The deciding factor for me was that you can buy in single quantities instead of having to buy a minimum of 20, or 50 like McMaster and other sites. Prices are competitive per piece and you can save buying in larger quantities if you are wanting to have a stash of spares for common sizes.

https://www.boltdepot.com/
    +1
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    I prefer McMaster and Ace. McMaster is by far the easiest to find the exact hardware you need. if I need a few pieces of an uncommon size, I'll use Ace.

I know zinc-plated is fine for most application, but I'm obessed with putting on as much stainless as I can. Stainless just looks better and I never have to worry about shearing rusted bolts.
    Reference DMCTalk thread here regarding the use of stainless fasteners, especially on the engine: LINK: Stainless Fasteners
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    10201

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Reference DMCTalk thread here regarding the use of stainless fasteners, especially on the engine: LINK: Stainless Fasteners
    Leaking oil provides excellent corrosion resistance on the engine bolts. No SS needed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast