FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Source for stainless nut, bolts, threaded screws, etc.

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Worst case you can buy this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M16-Caliper-...6_4PfQmq1l_D2A

OR This, just put a cotter pin in both sides.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-q...-pins/=17qnskh
    I appreciate it, Josh, but:
    - the eBay option: Kinda silly to buy a whole new spacer kit when all I need are the clevis pins; besides, those may not be the dimensions I need
    - the McMaster option: Once you plug in the diameter and useable length I need there are no options left that would work for me...

Any other vendors or solutions you can think of are appreciated.
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    I appreciate it, Josh, but:
    - the eBay option: Kinda silly to buy a whole new spacer kit when all I need are the clevis pins; besides, those may not be the dimensions I need
    - the McMaster option: Once you plug in the diameter and useable length I need there are no options left that would work for me...

Any other vendors or solutions you can think of are appreciated.
    looks like my mcmaster link never came up correctly. there are 3" usable length pins available.
    And i have the spacer kit, the pins are the correct dimension you specified.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

looks like my mcmaster link never came up correctly. there are 3" usable length pins available.
    Correct, but they all have the spring-loaded ball; not anything that would stay in place.

And i have the spacer kit, the pins are the correct dimension you specified.
    Great! I might just reach out to the seller and see if he can sell me the clevis pins, only. If you have the kit, can you double-check the dimensions on yours and let me know?
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Correct, but they all have the spring-loaded ball; not anything that would stay in place.

Great! I might just reach out to the seller and see if he can sell me the clevis pins, only. If you have the kit, can you double-check the dimensions on yours and let me know?
    20170522_163303.jpg

hmmmmm

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Thanks Josh. For a 3/16" diameter clevis pin, 2.85" useable length is the longest I can find anywhere, but I believe I need a minimum of 3". However, I base that on the added thickness of the little spacers to space out the caliper halves. Once I put my brakes together (about to start assembling the upgraded suspension) I might just find that 2.85" (2 7/8") might suffice. We'll see.

Thanks again for the pic.

My VIN:    10270

During rebuild & vented conversion last year I picked up a set of McMaster quick release pins in 3.5" length.

The plan (in my head) was to maybe retain the ball lock but cut them to length, change the outer pull to a traditional retaining pin and drill a hole for a second retaining pin.

Turns out that ball mechanism is super tough - they were surprisingly difficult to slide into place. I had visions of them only becoming more difficult to remove after thousands of miles.

During final reassembly I stuck with the cotter pins. Reasons were 50% lazy, and 50% "why am I going to all this trouble to add a very uniform piece of metal to the brake assembly that could become year another resonant squeal point on brakes known for being squealy".
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    ... I stuck with the cotter pins....
    That's my fall-back but that solution looks awfully flimsy. Obviously, you haven't had any brake issues using the cotter pins, am I correct....?

My VIN:    10201

Found this info about stainless bolts on cars while looking up for the difference between a2 and a4 stainless. There's bonus bit at the end.
    http://www.volksbolts.com/faq/basics.htm

My VIN:    10270

That's my fall-back but that solution looks awfully flimsy. Obviously, you haven't had any brake issues using the cotter pins, am I correct....?
    No sir, haven't heard of anyone else having issues either. i felt the same way as you when my kit arrived, and will replace them if a more elegant solution arises. Until then they do seem to fulfill their purpose pragmatically.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Would it be possible to just get some stainless rod cut to length and drill cotter pin holes on each end as required? Seems like a simple solution to me anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast