FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tow Strap

My VIN:    4519

Tow Strap

I want to be prepared for a ride on a flatbed if ever necessary.

I've heard the average sized tow-hooks don't fit the tow loops on our cars, so I'm thinking of getting a tow-strap that I can put through both tow loops and the tow driver can hook to the strap.

Anybody have any input on that idea?

Thanks.

My VIN:    6585

I've never had a problem having my car towed on a flatbed. Comparatively to other vehicles I've owned, I really don't think that there is much of a difference in the size of the loops.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

As long as you can instruct the tow truck driver to NOT hook onto the lower control arms you should be OK. Most towers are prepared to handle the newer cars and they usually know they need to be careful and have what they need to winch the car onto the flatbed. If you have an automatic you must also let the tower know if the rear wheels can't be lifted, ie, they are only going to lift the front and roll it on the rear tires, they can't go over 35 MPH or more than 30 miles. Best to either remove the half-shafts or just get the whole car onto a tilt-bed. if you still feel you must be prepared, most auto stores sell a short piece of rope with hooks attached made for towing. OR get the car into the most reliable condition you can and you won't NEED a tow! Don't forget to get a AAA card too.
    David Teitelbaum

I heard from two owners who needed a tow and the flatbeds didn't have a hook small enough for the loops on the frame.

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I heard from two owners who needed a tow and the flatbeds didn't have a hook small enough for the loops on the frame.
    What in the hell kind of monster hooks were they using?!

I have a tow strap like the one pictured above. Definitely not small hooks at all. I have personally used it on both front hooks (in tandem with a manual winch pulling from the center) to pull the car up and onto a U-haul car hauler. I've never once had an issue with hooks being too large.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    2706

Screenshot_20170516-164301.jpg

Rich my preferred method is the recovery strap shown above with some carabiners. Me and Chris have towed my car many times this way. I have also looped it threw itself on the towhook of the delorean and just put the loop on the hitch ball of the truck. Either way works. I think the strap is 50 bucks at tractor supply and it's long enough to pull the car on a trailer if needed .

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    What in the hell kind of monster hooks were they using?!

Lots of them have hooks that very easily hook around the lower control arms (and bend them) but won't fit through tow hooks.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I want to be prepared for a ride on a flatbed if ever necessary.

I've heard the average sized tow-hooks don't fit the tow loops on our cars, so I'm thinking of getting a tow-strap that I can put through both tow loops and the tow driver can hook to the strap.

Anybody have any input on that idea?

Thanks.
    I agree with that method. I had my car towed a couple times and the tow service was required to have flat bed with soft tow straps (no metal hooks) by Hagerty. I instructed the driver to do as you mentioned.

I would get a pair in case a flat bed doesn't have them. Also I would check that your tow loops are solid enough beforehand, as my driver asked me " Do you trust your tow loops?" before loading the car.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    I agree with that method. I had my car towed a couple times and the tow service was required to have flat bed with soft tow straps (no metal hooks) by Hagerty. I instructed the driver to do as you mentioned.

I would get a pair in case a flat bed doesn't have them. Also I would check that your tow loops are solid enough beforehand, as my driver asked me " Do you trust your tow loops?" before loading the car.
    Most towers have small hooks. They have to. On most of the newer cars they give you a small eye bolt to screw into the bumper for the tower to pull on. Another thing to keep in mind. I have towed and winched some VERY rusty cars. Make sure the loops and frame is still intact BEFORE trying to pull. On one Delorean I remember having to tie a strap up to the sway bar, the frame was so bad I was afraid I would pull it apart!
    David Teitelbaum

Lots of good input...thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast