FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Car show sign

My VIN:    5470

Wow - these are nice. I may re-purpose some of that work for my next show. The last show I went to was the "Import and Performance Nationals" in Carlisle. I went because the kit car community comes out and that's one of my favorite things to see. The extent of my efforts was a 1-page FAQ that I taped to the back window. I basically open the doors and then walk the show for the day, leaving the car alone. I wanted people to be able to get some info.

IMG_20170620_214115.jpg

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by rickjames8 View Post
    Wow - these are nice. I may re-purpose some of that work for my next show. The last show I went to was the "Import and Performance Nationals" in Carlisle. I went because the kit car community comes out and that's one of my favorite things to see. The extent of my efforts was a 1-page FAQ that I taped to the back window. I basically open the doors and then walk the show for the day, leaving the car alone. I wanted people to be able to get some info.

IMG_20170620_214115.jpg

If you leave the car unattended with the doors open you should secure everything including the lighter in the bonnet or the cubby. I would also suggest using the plastic pipes between the door anchor pins on each side to keep people out of the car. I used 1/2" PVC pipe painted yellow and wrapped with black electrical tape. If the car is in the sun use a sunshade inside the windscreen. Might also want to use some Don't Touch stickers. If you have a master switch turn it off.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10353

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If you leave the car unattended with the doors open you should secure everything including the lighter in the bonnet or the cubby. I would also suggest using the plastic pipes between the door anchor pins on each side to keep people out of the car. I used 1/2" PVC pipe painted yellow and wrapped with black electrical tape.
    I have these but they didn't stop a mother from pulling one off when I wasn't looking and allowing her kids to jump in and climb on my seats and across the center console to get pictures. I tried (very hard) to be calm in front of her kids and ask her if she thought it'd be OK with me climbing around in her car. I think a huge sign you hang from the doors to block access may be the best bet.

My VIN:    5433

Here is the sign I have lying around in my car.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Pascal; 06-21-2017 at 06:31 AM.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by eight8toy View Post
    I have these but they didn't stop a mother from pulling one off when I wasn't looking and allowing her kids to jump in and climb on my seats and across the center console to get pictures.
    Well, at least you had something handy to beat them with
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    5470

If you leave the car unattended with the doors open you should secure everything including the lighter in the bonnet or the cubby. I would also suggest using the plastic pipes between the door anchor pins on each side to keep people out of the car. I used 1/2" PVC pipe painted yellow and wrapped with black electrical tape. If the car is in the sun use a sunshade inside the windscreen. Might also want to use some Don't Touch stickers. If you have a master switch turn it off.
    Yep. I have a couple of pieces of grey pipe (plastic electrical conduit, I believe) that I put on the door strikers. I have a dymo-tool printout on them that says "Please look but don't touch". I introduced myself to the folks parked near me and asked them to keep a casual eye on it. I don't keep anything of value in the car, so I wasn't too worried. The only thing I took out was my ez-pass.

My main reason for going to the show was to see other cars, so I really wanted to walk the showgrounds. I think the DeLorean is meant to be photographed with the doors up, so I didn't want to rob people of that thrill. So far I've had good luck with leaving it open. Fingers crossed that luck remains.

Quote Originally Posted by rickjames8 View Post
    I think the DeLorean is meant to be photographed with the doors up, so I didn't want to rob people of that thrill.
    This is most likely true, but I have a slightly different take.

When attending a show or street-meet with other DeLoreans, I keep my doors down. This is because the other owners always keep theirs up for the very reason you mentioned. So if a spectator by chance wanted to see or photograph what the car might look like with the doors down (as if on the freeway), I don't want to rob people of that thrill, and so I cause at least one DeLorean to be in that configuration, in contrast to a line of cars with the doors up. While not included in my reasoning, I personally like the looks of the car better with the doors down. And a side benefit is that normally no one will trespass and climb in without permiso.

Thomas

Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Yes, most cars at shows have their doors closed so when you display your Delorean with the doors open some take that as an invitation to jump in. Even with the plastic pipes, kids will just go under them. If the parents did not teach their kids to respect other's property that is what you get. I often go to local cars shows and many do not understand the "etiquette" of not touching other people's cars. A gentle reminder is usually all it takes if you are by the car and see it happen. Most of the time, if they ask nicely, I let the kids sit in the car (as long as they don't have a dripping ice cream cone!). Be careful, a lot of people will take a memento and you lose a cigarette lighter or a gearshift knob or something. It happens. I never leave my car unattended with the doors open.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10322

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

:O SMORT

I'm going to do this, hope you don't mind.

I have a final candidate for the sign. I removed some of the info boxes like the speedometer one. Maybe I was overthinking it, but I felt like it would tempt more people than normal to get in the car to look. But after looking at some of the other signs I was trying to pack too much in.

Edit: Broke the file into three images to combat blurring.
    brushed stainless.jpg
    brushed stainless2.jpg
    brushed stainless3.jpg
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Peripatetic; 06-24-2017 at 12:44 AM.
    http://www.artgemsjewelers.com/
    Fine Geek Jewelry.

If the above post was DeLorean related it should be noted that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Tumblr: Going88 || Instagram: Going.88

My VIN:    3937

A couple thoughts...

If anyone is thinking of what they might like to put on their sign, you could begin by asking yourself what questions you tend to get from spectators at shows and then answer those.

I also like the doors closed idea and have done this a few times this season so far. One thing I've noticed when you display a flux capacitor on the parcel shelf between the seats is that people seem to need to get the straight on view of it for their pictures, and because of this, I notice people leaning way into the car to get that photo. Leaving the doors closed solves that, and so does just not displaying the FC if that's your angle.

Along the lines of leaning into or over the car, I'm not a big fan of clipping info sheets under the wipers or sitting on the windshield (or under it). I have a couple of those clear plastic file folders with the little string on them to wind closed, and lately I've used them to put one info sheet in for reading and then use masking tape to stick it to the rear quarter glass. Easy for people to read and they don't need to lean over anything to do so. Sometimes I'll have printed a bunch of black and white extras of the info sheets and then put a little label on that plastic sleeve taped to the car that says "please take one."

Here's a pic of a show earlier this week. I have one of each of the FAQ's in the plastic sleeve (one on each side of the car). I made up those plastic "stay out of my car" bars for the open doors too and wrapped them in colourful tape. It was Hagerty Youth judging night this week so I couldn't rob the kids of the thrill to see the car with the wings up. And I just happened to know someone that won 1st place thanks to those youth judges...

https://www.facebook.com/orangevillecruisenight/

IMG_1851.jpgPic 2.jpg

FAQ sheets here:

DMC-BTTF-FAQ-8x11_app 2.pdfDeLorean Fun Facts updated 2017-06-21.pdf

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast