FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Door seal installation help

Not a self styled 'Guru'

Try closing the door slowly and listen carefully to when the latches engage with the striker pins, ideally they should both catch at the same time.

If one latch is engaging before the other, you will have more difficulty in closing/opening the door and it may feel like it's snagging/binding.

You can hear in this video that the front latch is engaging before the rear, the striker pins need to be adjusted on this door until both latches engage at the same time.

The door should then open/close with ease and without snagging/binding.
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
    The Future's DeLorean Club

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I just installed the the DeloreanGo seals last Friday. No more drag spots. I wiped the seal and the local area where the door could contact the seal, with silicone spray on a towel applicator.

Before

After

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    Installed these seals this evening and followed up with Gummi Pflege to help them adjust. My first impression is that the seals allow the doors to close more easily because the bulb profile is much smaller. Unlike the OEM inner door seals, the majority of the DeLorean-Go seal is a "sweep," similar to what you find on the bottom of a residential entry door or a pivoting glass shower door.

My passenger door, which was prone to tearing the front-upper windshield corner, now closes as if there are no door seals installed at all (very easily).

My driver's door, which closed better than the passenger door with OEM seals, had a more difficult time closing afterward. I am still investigating this and will report back after the seals have had a chance to set overnight.

I will also report back my test drive results regarding wind noise. I have an earlier car that may be more prone to wind noise.
    After sitting closed for a week (not intentional), my driver's door now closes easily. I still have yet to drive the car, but that may change this week.

My VIN:    5625

Is there any updates on this thread?

My fairly new inner door seals have already ripped in the common locations due to too much friction in the typical places. I used the suggested lubrication on the seals, but they still ripped over time.
    At some point I would like to install a wings aloft system but my doors just open/close operation is simply too impeded by the current seals. I have read that DMC has newly designed inner door seals. Can anyone comment on those against the ones from Deloreango? I would really like to get my doors to not rub on the seal while opening and closing so that they may open/close easier.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    Is there any updates on this thread?

My fairly new inner door seals have already ripped in the common locations due to too much friction in the typical places. I used the suggested lubrication on the seals, but they still ripped over time.
    At some point I would like to install a wings aloft system but my doors just open/close operation is simply too impeded by the current seals. I have read that DMC has newly designed inner door seals. Can anyone comment on those against the ones from Deloreango? I would really like to get my doors to not rub on the seal while opening and closing so that they may open/close easier.
    I have had the DeLoreanGo seals for a few months now. The doors open and close as if there is no seal at all, but I still lubricated them with Gummi Pflege. No wind noise.

My VIN:    3937

I can't personally speak to any amazing solution for interfering door closing problems as mine are still a bit clunky and far from one finger smooth. I wouldn't be able to put one of those door launcher upgrades in either as there is too much interference on my own car for them to work. I think mine might be more related to the gas strut lower mounting stud being a little crooked as both my doors tend to pull towards the rear of the car just as they come close to closing and then the area right around the screw heads of the rear latch scratches into the fiberglass around the striker pin area. It could be a few other things but I'm hoping to put one of those support bracket kits in place on those lower studs and see if it improves.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Door seal installation help

I switched to the Delorean Go seals, no more issues and don’t keep them wiped with silicone.

Incidentally, I installed them this spring when I first heard about them.

When I went to the DMCMW open house I found out that DMCH found documentation of a new seal profile design that was supposed to address the issue, but never made it into production before the factory closing. DMCH took that design and recently had new seal made and had just released it to the franchises. I never heard any promotional info advertising the new design. I still haven’t, unless it was a Facebook thing, which I don’t follow.

I remember when I used to get periodic emails showing off the new stuff available from DMCH, but I guess they don’t do that anymore with the advent of Facebook and Twitter. Not everyone partakes in that kind of social media stuff. I don’t anyway. With exception to a few focused forums like this one , I prefer point to point communication via phone, text or email.

That must mean I’m getting Old
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    10588

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I would love to know if the "new never before released" DMCH seals are similar to DeLorean Go's seal. I'm leaning towards DeLorean go based on everyone's comments.
    -Luigi-
    Thank you ALL for your patience and your tremendous help!

1982 VIN#10588 Build Date Dec '81

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclearbacon View Post
    I would love to know if the "new never before released" DMCH seals are similar to DeLorean Go's seal. I'm leaning towards DeLorean go based on everyone's comments.
    I installed DMCH's latest inner door seals about 3 months ago. "New-and-never-released"

They work great so far.

No special lube needed, at least not on our car. Not sticky at all, the doors close and open well with a tight, noise-free seal.

Have not tried DeLoreanGo's seals so no comment on those.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    5625

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I installed DMCH's latest inner door seals about 3 months ago. "New-and-never-released"

They work great so far.

No special lube needed, at least not on our car. Not sticky at all, the doors close and open well with a tight, noise-free seal.

Have not tried DeLoreanGo's seals so no comment on those.
    Could you post a side profile pic of the seal? Does it catch anywhere on the door when closing?
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast