FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Door seal installation help

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclearbacon View Post
    I would love to know if the "new never before released" DMCH seals are similar to DeLorean Go's seal. I'm leaning towards DeLorean go based on everyone's comments.
    I looked at one for visual comparison to the GO seal. The Go seal is still a smaller profile. I don’t have any noticeable air leaks that I can distinguish the typical road noise I’m accustomed too.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    Could you post a side profile pic of the seal? Does it catch anywhere on the door when closing?
    I installed DMCH's latest inner door seals about 3 months ago. "New-and-never-released"

They work great so far.

No special lube needed, at least not on our car. Not sticky at all, the doors close and open well with a tight, noise-free seal.

Have not tried DeLoreanGo's seals so no comment on those.Sure, these are the photos of the profiles. The old-style DMCH that was in there for 5yrs compared to the newest DMCH (July shipment).

Answering today's question:
    With careful installation the new DMCH seal does not catch on either door (on this car at least) when closing after about 2 months of use. The old DMCH one did, especially at top of A-pillar. Don't let the profile get crooked when wrapping it around the tight corners, try to keep it in line with the door flange. Also be sure to press it fully onto the flange. A rubber mallet does a nice job.

Photos below - the profile with the longitudinal parallel ribs on one side is the old DMCH profile. In the end view it looks oval because it had been on the car for 2-3 years before it tore at the A-pillar. The new profile has a shorter 'tail' on the bulb and has 5 or 6 internal one-way grip profiles inside the u-section. It also has DMC imprinted at intervals along one side, not seen in photos. That's the side you don't see - if you install it correctly.

Left one is the old profile, right one is newest:

Flipped over from first photo - Left profile is newest:

End view, as requested - Left profile is newest:
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Not a self styled 'Guru'

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    My fairly new inner door seals have already ripped in the common locations due to too much friction in the typical places. I used the suggested lubrication on the seals, but they still ripped over time.
    I would really like to get my doors to not rub on the seal while opening and closing so that they may open/close easier.
    If the door is binding on the seals as you open/close it then over time the seals will tear in the usual spots. Adjusting the striker pins should resolve that issue.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?15...l=1#post219474
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
    The Future's DeLorean Club

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3