FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Not-so-excellent adventures

My VIN:    10907

Unhappy Not-so-excellent adventures

Post your worst D moments. I'll start:

Today, while returning home from the car wash, an SUV decided they really needed to be in my lane that instant. I tried to lay on the horn, remembered too late that it wasn't in the middle of the steering wheel, and ended up on the curb in an effort not to get smacked in the LFF, taking out a couple of wooden survey sticks in the process. I was about to get out and check for damage but then the other driver started to pull away (this was in the right turn lane at an intersection) and I just said OH HELL NO (only there were a few filthier expletives involved) and drove off the curb after them. I was honking and waving for them to pull over and when they finally stopped at the light just south of my house I jumped out and went to yell at them. I wasn't even thinking about the possibility that they might be a gangbanger with a Tec-9, I just wanted to rip them a new one and/or get their insurance info in case my suspension was trashed (in the moment, it was mostly the former, NGL).

It turned out to be a youngish woman who was apologetic about it so I didn't curse her out or anything but it turned out her insurance agent was a couple of streets up so we both went straight there. They were at lunch but we exchanged info and I went straight to the shop to get it looked at. With MW Mike on speaker we looked over the suspension & wheels and didn't find any glaring damage (and I got the impression she was a single mom so I might have just eaten it if it had been less than $500) so all's well that ends well, I guess. Still took about 10 years off my life, though.

Maybe I should have bought a Bricklin in Safety Orange. If whoever was behind us filmed it and gets a million views on Youtube, I better get a cut of the profit...

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Not-so-excellent adventures

That is a problem with this Low Profile car, I've been forced onto the shoulder a couple times over the years by people in taller vehicles that didn't see me in the Right lane. One was an RV and the other was a Semi.

Glad to hear no serious damage was found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Dash cam. Nuff said

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

Thats why I made a spoiler with 48 inches of brake
    lights. Also two red flags from my CB antenna help
    up the seeability for other drivers....

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Only adventure Ive had was short... Had DMCNW do a make run on my car, driving it back I got 1 mile (roughly) and the left rear wheel fell off..and yep it was a heart stopping moment to hear a loud bang and feel the car tip unnaturally.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Only adventure Ive had was short... Had DMCNW do a make run on my car, driving it back I got 1 mile (roughly) and the left rear wheel fell off..and yep it was a heart stopping moment to hear a loud bang and feel the car tip unnaturally.
    Oh damn....

What caused that to happen?
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

not so trips

How about losing your steering at seventy miles
    an hour, or having three lug nuts break off or blowing
    your head gasket or the door popping open at speed
    and the list goes on......

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    What's a make run?

My VIN:    16377

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    What's a make run?
    I believe they replace the parts necessary to get the car running after sitting for a while.

Thanks.

-Nick Pitello

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Shortly after my engine swap, I was still running the original LS1 intake manifold which has a large ~2" port for EGR (my current LS6 manifold does not). Since I deleted the EGR system, I had a large plug in the port to prevent any type of airflow. Unfortunately, while on a road trip between Florida and Ohio, that plug heated up, deformed, and got sucked into the intake. Luckily it didn't get into the engine, but it did create a massive vaccum leak, that mimicked a near full throttle condition. In the middle of nowhere Kentucky, while traveling at 70mph on I-75, the car began launching full throttle, and I couldn't get it to stop. Talk about needing a new pair of pants... After a couple moments of uncontrolled acceleration, I shut the car off and coasted to the shoulder.

This would have been scary with a PRV, but I'm confident that the brakes could have put up a good fight against the engine. With the LS1 though, it was downright terrifying because the brakes had little effect. Ended up disassembling the intake on the side of the road, recovered the plug, put together a replacement makeshift plug using what I had with me, and drove another couple hours home without issue! I later replaced that intake manifold with the LS6 manifold that has no EGR port to worry about.
    1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Two years later on the same drive, I got to do some similar repair on the side of the road with replacing a fuel pump on the side of I-75 in Georgia. Luckily I was carrying a spare pump!

F1.jpgF2.jpgF3.jpgF4.jpgF5.jpg

Neither issue kept me off the road longer than an hour.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast