FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Removing permanent marker autographs from glove box

My VIN:    10162

Removing permanent marker autographs from glove box

Hi! So the former owner of my DeLorean had some guys named Christopher Lloyd and Bob Gale sign the outside of the glove box (never heard of these guys myself, I guess they made some movie with a time traveling DeLorean in it . While it is kind of cool having these signatures, both are addressed to the former owner so its kind of weird having them. I also don't like having writing on the car. At first I was just going to get a new lid, but they seem to be kinda hard to come by, I also don't want to spend money if I don't have to. So I was wondering if anyone had any tips for getting black permeant marker off. Thanks!

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

What color lid? Someone might be interested in swapping with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Boingonut View Post
    Hi! So the former owner of my DeLorean had some guys named Christopher Lloyd and Bob Gale sign the outside of the glove box (never heard of these guys myself, I guess they made some movie with a time traveling DeLorean in it . While it is kind of cool having these signatures, both are addressed to the former owner so its kind of weird having them. I also don't like having writing on the car. At first I was just going to get a new lid, but they seem to be kinda hard to come by, I also don't want to spend money if I don't have to. So I was wondering if anyone had any tips for getting black permeant marker off. Thanks!
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    What color lid? Someone might be interested in swapping with you.
    Its a grey lid and the signatures are in black marker

Quote Originally Posted by Boingonut View Post
    Its a grey lid and the signatures are in black marker
    Whats the name of the guy its made out to?

I guess I should add that there are other signatures from other BTTF people on the inside of the lid that are just signatures and are not made out to the former owner like the ones from Christopher Lloyd and Bob Gale on top. These I would like to keep, so I will most likely not be selling or trading the lid even if I get a new one. I just want to get the marker off of the top. Thanks!
    Last edited by Boingonut; 05-25-2017 at 01:30 PM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You can start with alcohol and if that doesn't work move on to Goo Gone and 3M cleaner and finally Acetone. Be careful not to start melting the vinyl. Do not leave the stuff on for long, wipe it right off and rinse. You may lighten it so much it will look different than the dash. Probably best to either leave it alone or get a nice dash cover.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Can you just remove the personalization? My BTTF Pinball machine is signed by most of the cast of BTTF too and they all personalized it. I just assumed that if I ever sold it, I would remove the part that says "to nick" with rubbing alcohol, and leave the signatures.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

or the future owner could change his/her name to Nick. . Might be easier
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    10353

Post a pic of the lid! I am in San Diego and would consider trading you for mine which is in great condition if you were interested.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

I've found that carberator cleaner removes permanent marker. However I don't know if it will damage/discolor the lid.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast