FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Cold start clogged? How to clean

Cold start clogged? How to clean

Here's why I believe the cold start is clogged
    1. Loosening the bolt on top of the cold start sprayed out some gas so it appears the line is supplying gas
    2. Testing ohms on the thermo time switch shows 30 ohms when cranking so it seems to be working fine
    3. When cranking, using a multimeter on the two terminals in the boot on the side of the cold start valve shows voltage
    4. No gas comes out of the cold start valve when placed on cardboard and cranking

so it seems clogged with plutonium residue or something, is the just igjector cleaner or carb or brake cleaner to let it soak in or what do you recommend?
    thanks guys
    81' gas flap. Sept build. 14k miles. Mostly original. Updating things...

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsquall View Post
    3. When cranking, using a multimeter on the two terminals in the boot on the side of the cold start valve shows voltage
    4. No gas comes out of the cold start valve when placed on cardboard and cranking
    Good data from your troubleshooting so far. But "dirty" might not be the only conclusion.

A dirty CSV would probably have a poor spray pattern or would dribble/leak after turning off with fuel pump still on. Yours does not seem to work at all, does get a signal, so it may be broken.

You did not mention whether the CSV is seeing ~12V (maybe if too low the valve is not triggered?) or some lower voltage. Unlikely but worth knowing before replacement.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Did you Ohm the CSV terminals? It is just a coil that creates a magnetic field to lift the pintal in the nozzle. If you have an open between the terminals you have a dead CSV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Try applying 12 volts directly to the cold start valve while you run the fuel pump. It should spray. It it does then the problem will be in the wiring or the TTS. If it doesn't spray then the valve is bad. Refer to D:04:06 in the Workshop Manual. The Cold Start Valve gets it's ground through the TTS. Make sure the TTS is grounded to the pump housing. I have seen where it was installed with teflon tape so it wouldn't leak, that prevents it from being grounded. The plug also gets forced onto the TTS wrong and damages the TTS. Make sure the W/R (white/red) wire is hot ONLY WHEN CRANKING!.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Did you Ohm the CSV terminals? It is just a coil that creates a magnetic field to lift the pintal in the nozzle. If you have an open between the terminals you have a dead CSV.

There are about 4 ohms between the terminals

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Try applying 12 volts directly to the cold start valve while you run the fuel pump. It should spray. It it does then the problem will be in the wiring or the TTS. If it doesn't spray then the valve is bad. Refer to D:04:06 in the Workshop Manual. The Cold Start Valve gets it's ground through the TTS. Make sure the TTS is grounded to the pump housing. I have seen where it was installed with teflon tape so it wouldn't leak, that prevents it from being grounded. The plug also gets forced onto the TTS wrong and damages the TTS. Make sure the W/R (white/red) wire is hot ONLY WHEN CRANKING!.

TTS is grounded. I'll try teh 12 v thing. I tried using carb cleaner after taking the CSV off the car, tapping it to losen debris, and using 85 PSI air hose to clean it out. NOTHING at all ever came through the other end. Hooked it back up. No fuel comes out on crank.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Hook things back up and crank the engine to pressurize the fuel system. Remove the CSV from the brass tube. Get a cup and to put the CSV in. Turn the key to Run. Go back to the CSV and plug the Grey connector from the WUR into it while holding it into the cup. The connector is Live and should open the CSV. If it has any Rest pressure present it should spray out, if not completely plugged.

That said, you should be able to do this the with injector feed line disconnected . Unplug the RPM relay to prevent FP from running. Then with the Key ON try blowing air through from either direction to perhaps dislodge the build up while the pintal is open.

Last edited by DMC5180; 05-23-2017 at 08:45 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Hook things back up and crank the engine to pressurize the fuel system. Remove the CSV from the brass tube. Get a cup and to put the CSV in. Turn the key to Run. Go back to the CSV and plug the Grey connector from the WUR into it while holding it into the cup. The connector is Live and should open the CSV. If it has any Rest pressure present it should spray out, if not completely plugged.

That said, you should be able to do this the with injector feed line disconnected . Unplug the RPM relay to prevent FP from running. Then with the Key ON try blowing air through from either direction to perhaps dislodge the build up while the pintal is open.

Solved! It turns out that tapping it with a hammer and cleaning it and carb cleaner unclogged it. But I was testing it with you ignition coil on plug which made the gas not pump to it. Plugging it back in and trying it then showed it was spraying out on cardboard and now it's fine. Thanks guys!